jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Did Google Downgrade lots of adresses in October?

1. Cheeky Girl profile image83
    Cheeky Girlposted 5 years ago

According to UK website The Register, Google may have downgraded tons of websites and web addresses during the month of October.Search Engines rely on special algorithms to effect searches. So was it just a bit of an accident with Google or, as "Foundem" claim, was it deliberate? And have you noticed any drop in your stats in October. This might be nothing folks, but then it is Google we are talking about.

(Thanks to Sabreblade who tweeted this and it got my attention.)

1. Bill Manning profile image70
      Bill Manningposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They do this every time they update. They always change a few things, do a little tweaking. So most sites see a rise or fall, sometimes bigger than others.

All my websites seem to be about the same, not going up or down much. One is picking up more than I thought it would, that's about it. smile

1. SEO Ibiza profile image61
        SEO Ibizaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"They do this every time they update."

and they update 3-400 times a year (minor) these days, plus a few big ones, and the "standard"  daily flux too smile

and then there's the continual user interface changes, adwords positioning moves, places etc etc.

certainly makes it interesting

2. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 5 years ago

One thing Google is putting more importance on lately is web page 'activity', or how often each page is requested, plus the number of different visitors (not repeat visitors).

This activity also seems to determine whether a particular web page remains indexed.  I have 2 web sites, which have various pages that aren't viewed as much.  When there's a lot of activity, the number of pages 'indexed' on the site can go up to the maximum, but fall back down to only a few with less activity.

Just one of many factors, I'm sure.