jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Request For A Useful Picture Editing Freeware or Shareware

1. Romian1 profile image82
    Romian1posted 5 years ago

I am looking for freeware or shareware that is like Adobe Photoshop with PowerPoint functions.  If you can identify this beast let me know where to find it.

It would save me lots of time in writing "how to" articles or tutorial heavy with homemade pictures.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have gimp.  It's not bad.  Also try Lightsource.

2. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Although I haven't tried it, the open-source freeware "GIMP" is supposed to be quite good.  Just Google 'gimp'.

I'm not sure about the PowerPoint functions.  You could always save the images in the right format and import them into PowerPoint.

Hope that helps.  Give it a try smile

1. 60
      Harvey Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi I just heard a rumor that GIMP was being updated to a simpler interface. Not sure just when this will happen.  Gimp is very powerful but like all software it requires a learning curve.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I found Gimp hard to use and opted for Komposer which I paid about $10 for. It works well.

4. Zakmoonbeam profile image91
    Zakmoonbeamposted 5 years ago

I have been using Photoscape recently, its free, well featured and no too overwhelming for a casual user like me!

Hope that helps a bit,

5. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

Try Picasa

Picasa is simple to use, generally friendly with other pgm interfaces, and you can import anything into PowerPoint as long as you have saved it in the correct format.

I find Picasa is a bit of a space pig, and can be a tidge idiosyncratic about "grabbing" pictures - it saves pictures multiple times, ie., every instance of the same photo, placing them in folders according to where it finds each instance.

Aside from that, Picasa is a piece of cake to use - easy interface and turns out a good product. I use it in conjunction with PhotoShop, because some of the Picasa controls are easier to manipulate.

It is free, online, and you can collapse the "faces" and albums" functions (though you can't get rid of them), if you find them as annoying as I do big_smile

Hope this helps.

6. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 5 years ago

I really have no clue, but my daughter downloaded something called IrfanView - she uses it to crop photos and I don't know what else (I have no use for it!).

7. bonbondude profile image59
    bonbondudeposted 5 years ago

Did you try Irfan View?

8. zamer profile image61
    zamerposted 5 years ago

I use Paint.NET, I find it easier to use compared to GIMP.