jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Choosing a Domain for search engines

1. David 470 profile image85
    David 470posted 5 years ago

When choosing a domain would it benefit to use more than one such as .org, .net etc. What is the difference if I just used .com rather than using multiple ones?

1. christoss1959 profile image69
      christoss1959posted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you want to target an international audience .com and .net are usually the best choices.
      However even if you want to do localization of a .com domain it is possible through google webmaster tools.

I would mostly be concerned about my domain including my keyword than choosing between .com etc

2. brittd80 profile image61
      brittd80posted 5 years ago in reply to this

unless you are an educational institution (edu), there is no reason to have any othe domain than the .com
      In my opinion the .biz and .net never really caught on.

1. travelespresso profile image82
        travelespressoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've also read in other forums here that .com it more marketable for a possible future sale.

2. mytutorialplanet profile image61
    mytutorialplanetposted 5 years ago

I think it tottally depends on who you want your site to target.  .org is usually representative of a charity site, one with the sole purpose of being a non profit organisation, so if you intend to make money, you dont want to use this. 
    .net is usually representative of a website involved in networking technologies such as a service provider.
    .com is considered commercial, generally targetting everyone across the world.
    And then you have country specific ones like .co.uk which will target the british audience and search engines.

3. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

I would take a .com over any other domain.

4. agraj profile image59
    agrajposted 5 years ago

I'll give preference to .com domain then others...