jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Word Press - How to set private

1. David 470 profile image86
    David 470posted 5 years ago

I started using wordpress today,and am quite overwhelmed by it, but noticed my site is considered live. I spoke to my hosting provider and they said I need to get a plugin or something for wordpress to make it private such as saying this website is under-construction.

How can I set it private because there's not really any content or forums up yet...?

2. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

Any site you put online, or any page for that matter, is "live".

However for all practical purposes it's not, because nobody can find it. So I would not worry about it.

Just start building it. Your going to take months before you even get a few hits a day if your not linking to it.

I would not put up any "under construction" pages or anything like that because google indexes them. So once your "open" you still have a page out there saying your not.

Good luck smile

1. David 470 profile image86
      David 470posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I do not want to even get backlinks "yet" because I have not put any content up yet. I am trying to figure wordpress out.

I am trying to integrate a forum into it.

I am surprised there automatically live though....considering you need to build content, pages, etc...

1. Bill Manning profile image70
        Bill Manningposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well that is the way the web works. Some sites you can build within your computer and put it out after it's all done.

But actually you want to make your site "live" asap so Google starts to age it. Let them know your site is out there and the SE's start to spider it and see it gets updated as you work on it.

I have a wordpress site I have been working on for over a year and it only has one page on it. But once I get to really working on it, it should shoot up fast for the keywords because it has been aging. smile

3. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

You might want to buy a book like "Wordpress for Dummies" so there'll be fewer surprises. If you go to the Settings Section and then to Privacy Settings, you can block the search engines. It doesn't block other visitors, but I wouldn't worry about that. They'll be few and far between with no content.