jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Starting a Website with Wordpress

1. bogerk profile image86
    bogerkposted 5 years ago

Can someone point me to the best, most well-written, step-by-step guide to starting a website with wordpress.

I'm interested in getting the process started, or at least gathering information and to say I was at square one would be an extreme understatement. If there is any square below square one ... I'm lower than that.

Thank you!

1. bigmikeh profile image77
      bigmikehposted 5 years ago in reply to this

To get a feel for Wordpress go to wordpress.com and start a free blog. There's a step by step walk through guide on the home page.

When you're ready, find a hosting account with Fantastico for a single click install and develop your own blog or website.

2. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

Best advice would be of course to study the wordpress site itself. Read all the how to stuff on there. Join the forum on there and read all the questions that have been asked.

If you can find someone close by who knows WP well it would be very helpful to have them sit down with you for a day and show you the dozens of little things that drive newbies crazy. smile

1. bogerk profile image86
      bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Having an actual person available would definitely be ideal. I'm a very visual learner and would love to have someone sit with me while I set it up and watch them play around with the program.

3. Zubair Ahmed profile image81
    Zubair Ahmedposted 5 years ago

Hi bogerk,

I think I can help you with this, do you already have a hosting account for your wordpress install? What you need in brief is:

(1) A web hosting service that allows PHP and SQL services.
    (2) Download Wordpress install files.
    (3) Upload the the install files to your root directory on the hosting account.
    (4) Using Internet Explorer go to Wordpress install file on your server.
    (5) Press install and assuming you have all the privileges you wordpress should install quite easily.

Send me an email if you wish to get more details.

All the best.

4. Ign Andy profile image60
    Ign Andyposted 5 years ago

Hi Bogerk,
    If you are visual learner, I highly suggest you search on Youtube. There are many great video guide on how to create wordpress blog/site.

5. mcbean profile image84
    mcbeanposted 5 years ago

This is a brief article on understanding each of the different steps to publishing a site with your own domain and hosting using wordpress.

It helps explain what the purpose of each step is and gives you a good idea of the order in which everything needs to be done:

http://www.myincomeonline.info/2011/01/ … -site.html

Helps you plan the whole process in advance.

Good luck. It is very exciting starting your first site.