jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Radiation from cellphone antenna boosts brain activity, study finds ..

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

looks like the scientists now flip flopped again and are telling the public that cell phones held next to the ear actually do cause brain damage!

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-cel … ?track=rss

1. Quilligrapher profile image89
      Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Stacie.  The article was very informative.  Thanks for posting it.  However, it doesn’t say anything about cell phones actually causing brain damage. In fact, it specifically quotes researchers as saying, “We don't know whether this is a good effect, a neutral effect or a bad effect.”  Should you change the wording in your post?.

2. tritrain profile image79
      tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You mean I can now put my cell phone on my head, instead of this brick?

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

hi Quilligrapher; I think the implication is there;they're just not ready to say the words..smile

3. Rock N Roll Jeans profile image60
    Rock N Roll Jeansposted 5 years ago

One of the greatest challenges we face as a society is the elimination of texting or distracted driving.  How can we eliminate this?  Can or should we equip cars with technology to stop this?

4. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 5 years ago

Scientists are not flip flopping with the results. They have been saying all along that cell phone cause an increase in brain activity near the antenna. That is not unusual and this increase in brain activity is the same level of brain activities researchers see when neurons in the brain are firing when some neurological processes such as communicating, hearing, touching, etc., is going on in the body. Also they do not see this increase in activity until the phone is held on the ear for at least 50 minutes or more. Finally, the microwave energy level is so low to cause any serious harm to to the brain so stop worrying. Remember the phone got to be there for 50 minutes with interruption. The problem is people are on their phones too long for one session.

1. 61
      incaicaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

let's not forget all the other radiation that we come in contact with in our everyday life..
      i guess you don't need to worry if you're just using it every now and then...
      sorry to those folks that are on them non-stop.

2. Cable TV profile image60
      Cable TVposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess it is fair to say not to worry about low levels of radiation exposure caused by cell phones. The same can be said for when using your computers, TVs, gaming consoles , and so on. But when many people use all of these devices everyday, i would say it is safe to at least be conscious of not using a cell phone when you do not have to by using a home phone instead or by watching less TV and picking up a hobby. Overtime all these small doses of radiation are going to have some kind of toll on your well being.

5. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Personally I am always suspicious when reports are released the favor huge corporations. Just saw an article entitled in part:
    "...healthy eating is a mental disorder...".
    Maybe will wind up as a disorder in the Psychiatric Diagnostic Manual.

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I don't see where it says anything about brain damage.  It caused some localized brain heating/activity but no one knows if that is harmful and there is no evidence at all of anything being "damaged".

7. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Read something by somebody, a few days ago, hard to keep track since I read a lot of different sources, but this guy stated that
    he got brain cancer, exactly in the part of the brain where he would hold his cell phone to his ear. And he had a lot of usage. I myself use speaker phone and try to keep it away from my head. Why play Russian Roulette?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

People get cancers in all possible places.  I wouldn't draw any conclusions at all from a sample of one.