jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)

New Email Scam

1. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 5 years ago

I love the familiar tone!

Apologies for having to reach out to you like this, I made a trip early this week to London, UK and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and credit cards in it. The embassy is willing to help by letting me fly without my passport, I just have to pay for a ticket and settle Hotel bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me some quick funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on the next available flight. I can forward you details on how you can get the funds to me. You can reach me via email or May field hotel's desk phone, the numbers are, +447031804805 or +447031804806

I await your response

It really blows me away that some folks fall for this crap. hmm

1. 61
      poormanadvocateposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. PaulaHenry1 profile image69
      PaulaHenry1posted 5 years ago

It is very sad considering most are aimed at the elderly and people wonder where human kindness has gone???

3. CMHypno profile image89
      CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

I get loads of these every week, and the ones I hate most is where they call me 'Dear'.

Sorry that you had just an upsetting experience in London lorlie, as a long time Londoner, I apologise on behalf of what is usually a wonderful city

4. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago

OMG I read that as if it was you, Lorlie, and was about to offer to help!
      Dumb or what? lol

1. CMHypno profile image89
        CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just realise that I did get the wrong end of the stick LOL! Glad it wasn't you Lorlie and the email probably came from West Africa somewhere! smile

2. Walt Smith profile image61
        Walt Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So did I, even after reading the title, and I don't even know her personally. It's not just elderly people that gets, anybody who lives in this fast paced world could breeze by that and miss-click information that could get you in a lot of trouble. Glad it wasn't you as well.

5. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I just googled Mayfield hotel London and it seems there is not such hotel there, but there is one in Blackpool (200/300 miles away).
      Anyway it seems that scam has been on the go for at least a year.
      http://www.elliott.org/blog/i-made-a-qu … n-from-me/

6. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago

I'm sending the money now..  How's London otherwise?

7. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 5 years ago

There's more to that particular email scam than you think. It happened to two friends of mine over the past couple of months.

Hackers manage to get someone's email address and password. Not only do they send that email to every contact in the email account, but they change the password so the actual owner can't get in. They also set it up so that after the owner manages to reset the password, a copy of every incoming AND outgoing email is forwarded to them. They also go in and change the security questions.

My friends had a heck of a time untangling this one, but it is doable. You should tell your friend to check all of the things I mentioned, or s/he's just gonna get scammed again.

1. ngureco profile image85
        ngurecoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Exactly. They may also tell you that the mobile phone was also stolen so that any confirmation can only be done through email or the phone numbers provided.

8. Mighty Mom profile image90
      Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Would you prefer the money in Americn dollars, pounds or euros?
      Oh -- and you didn't say how much you need, DEAR.
      Is $50,000 enough to start?
      I'll send the rest just as soon as I sell my bridge lol

1. Cagsil profile image84
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

9. Mighty Mom profile image90
      Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Hey Cags,
      You wanna buy my bridge? lol lol
      Special price, just for you...

10. Cicero Jones profile image60
      Cicero Jonesposted 5 years ago

There are Nigerians in the UK now? LOL! Just being cheeky...

11. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

lorlie, do you have a spam blocker? hmm

I don't get those kind of emails.
      If you use Facebook, be careful with some of the third party applications that ask for more information, there has been an increase lately with malware on popular applications.

12. DIY Backlinks profile image59
      DIY Backlinksposted 5 years ago

I get one a day about needing my info because some millionaire died and they can send me the money and I get to keep half. The other one is I have won the lottery. How cool is that when you didn't even enter it to start with lol.

13. Patkay profile image87
      Patkayposted 5 years ago

I get loads of them every day i even don't bother reading. Just delete 'em.