jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Are there any reading devices which are not Kindle compatible?

1. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

Excuse my ignorance.

I am writing an eBook which is very community specific, it will be actively promoted on just one website.

As a result I don't intend to publish in print, just eBook. If I made it available only on eBook, owners of any reading device and indeed any computer can read that file right?

I am going to open it up initially on Amazon in Kindle format. Can iPad owners etc still purchase and read these?

2. rmr profile image89
    rmrposted 5 years ago

It looks like there's an iPad app for Kindle books:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i … kxhff7th_b

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes,and it works well. I use it every day.

3. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

Awesome, that's all I need to know cheers smile

4. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

Don't ignore us nook users over at Barnes & Noble. Kindle and nook don't use the same file format. I need an .epub file please.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I will try to make that happen, although I suspect that this particular book will be of no benefit to you personally and as such would be a waste of $3.99 smile

5. 0

Well, I was just going to try and be supportive. But never mind.... I have a wide variety of friends. Do you you think any of them would benefit from it? I could make you next year's Christmas present.

In any event, you shouldn't dis nook users.

1. GusTheRedneck profile image84
      GusTheRedneckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Howdy Nelle - What Ryankett was probably trying to tell you was that his eBook was going to be issued only in one format, a format that works on the Amazon Kindle device. I do not believe that he was in any way "dissing" you or your eBook reader gadget.  Anyway, you can get a free copy of the "Calibre" software and convert Ryan's chosen format into whatever format you like or need. "Calibre" does lots of things, one of which is to convert one format into other formats - it looks like there are about 10 destination formats from which to choose. I do hope that this reply is of some use to you. Gus:-)))

6. 0

When you use Calibre, it isn't the same. The file format doesn't allow you to resize the font size, which is one of the things I love most about my nooks - I have the Classic Nook 3G as well as Nookcolor.

I think that Hubpages writers need to be more encompassing. They only tend to think of Kindle, because they are so used to dealing with Amazon. There are hundreds of thousands of nook readers as well.

Anyways Ryan, says I don't need to read it, so I won't bother.

Thanks for the suggestion though.