Are 3-D TVS the wave of the future?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Seriously, are they?  i don't think so, as they're not practical.  However, what are you're thoughts on this?

1. NateSean profile image64
      NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think any technology that entertains people has about a minimum five to ten year run. Look how long the X-box was around until it's successor, the X-box 360 came to town.

Practicality just doesn't play into it. There's nothing practical about a reality show that takes us inside the world of a guy who writes parking tickets all day, but alas, someone is making money of it so it happens.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand where you're coming from, but comparing reality shows to 3-D tvs is hardly a fair comparison.  if you're going by that logic, then ALL TV SHOWS are impractical unless you they're documentaries, news or some form of educational programming.  Therefore, practicality doesn't factor in when it comes to any type of entertainment medium. 

However, when it comes to technology, practicality does play a huge factor whether or not the item picks up or not.  Take Blue Rays and DVDs. Although there are a few people out there that claim Blue rays are the wave of the future..blah blah.  The reality is they're not.  If that was the case, then why hasn't our society slowly tried to faze out DVDs then like it did with VHS tapes?   

Blue Rays are impractical, and quite frankly won't be around for more than a few more years.  DVDs on the other hand will be around for a while. Why you may ask? It's practicality.  One, they're not as expensive to make; thus keeping the cost of DVDs down.  Which IS very helpful in a struggling economy.  Secondly, DVD players can not only play DVDs, they can also play CDs too, as well as be played in almost any PC hard drive that allows for DVD playability.

If that wasn't enough, the USA military uses said DVDs all the time to store information on discs; along with other various corporations using the same methods.  Plus, from talking to various people that own a Blue Ray player and even sales people at Best Buy and others, I've been informed that Blue rays only work well when you have both a HD tv AND a blue ray.  Otherwise, it just comes off looking like regular DVD quality.  Gee, with DVDs, it doesn't matter what TV you have, as it will always work.  Therefore, it's not a big mystery why Blue Rays are struggling so much they're having to be sold in DVD/Blue Ray combo packs these days.  What does this have to do with 3-D tvs?  Well, I'll get to that now. 

From talking to various people, the 3-D TV only works to play 3-D movies.  As in films that were made and/or converted into 3-D onto DVD formats.  Therefore, that makes it impractical.  One, majority of films ever released are primarily in 2-D.  Therefore, that limits the amount of films you can play on your 3-D TV.  Plus, as far as I know, it doesn't automatically display TV shows and/or non 3-D films automatically in 3-D for it to work.  Of course, I could be wrong on that last part but if I'm right, then that only proves how impractical it is.  As the only way I can see 3-D tvs taking off is unless they do two things.  One do as grimlock said by getting rid of the glasses and IF...(this is a big "IF", I might add too)...IF TV networks like NBC, Fox and whatnot support 3-D tv, then it might work.  What I mean by supporting 3-D tvs is if television networks start to design their programs with 3-d specifically in mind, then yes...3-D tvs will take off.  However, until that happens, I don't see 3-D tvs taking off.

2. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

An NFL game with 3D would be awesome !

1. profile image0

it would be, but i'll stick to the 2-D format.  Besides, if i had the kind of money to buy a 3-D tv, then I'd probably just buy a ticket to a real game to watch it live.  Nothing beats watching a live football game in a stadium if you ask me. big_smile

2. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I dont't think they are unless they figure out away lose the need for those annoying glasses. I don't see how the age person that spends 5hrs a day infront of the tv putting up with the glasses for that long every day!

1. NateSean profile image64
      NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kids will do it.

Kids can igonre that crick in the neck that comes from staring face down at their gameboy DS's, or whatever they have these days. Of course kids are just as likely to lose and/or damage said glasses, but that's more money for the electronics company who sold it to the parents.

1. joshhunt83 profile image60
        joshhunt83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

3D TVs are nearly out of date already. Hologram TVs are going to be the next wave of TV technology because they're actually far more impressive and don't require you to wear stupid looking glasses.

1. profile image0

you know, i heard about those too.  have they announced when those will be released?

1. joshhunt83 profile image60
            joshhunt83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not that I'm aware of. May be a little while.

2. profile image0

i agree. plus, i think the only other way it would work is if tv networks started producing programs with 3-d in mind.  however, i doubt tv networks would spend the extra money on developing more shows in 3-d.

1. Joan1 profile image61
        Joan1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ESPN already has a 3d channel. There is one coming for discovery channel.
        And many more on the way.
        Also if you own a ps3, you can play more and more games in 3d.

Like Gran turismo 5, which is absolutely amazing in 3d.
        Or Killzone 3 in 3d and you can also use the ps move.
        That way you really are in the game. Not just playing it from the couch.

When lcd and plasma tvs got introduced, there were lots of people saying, just wait for the hologram tvs. The idea has been around for centuries.
        But it will still take a long time before we can actually buy them, and they will be supported.

It's like saying You will not buy a cell phone, just wait for the implanted chip with calling function.

3d-tv is going to become more popular.
        Especially because it doesn't force you to watch in 3d, the 3d tv's are also the top of the line 2d tvs.
        And as their costs will drop, it will probably become just an added function like e-mail used to be on phones.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)