jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Wordpress Robot.txt question

1. brandonhart100 profile image83
    brandonhart100posted 6 years ago

I have a wordpress site and I want to make it so that google will not index my "pages" which will include products and lots of affiliate links in my niche category which I fear kill any chance I have at ranking with my keywords.  These pages get displayed as tabs at the top (as you often see with wp sites). 

Is this as easy as just adding it to my webmaster tools page in the disallow category?

Will anything negative come out of doing this?

2. SiddSingh profile image62
    SiddSinghposted 6 years ago
    1. Ign Andy profile image62
      Ign Andyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Great plugins, better than all in one seo in my opinion. You can no-index, no-follow certain pages using this plugins.

2. brandonhart100 profile image83
      brandonhart100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

The funny thing is I use Yoast... but I never noticed that little advanced button.

3. Haunty profile image86
    Hauntyposted 6 years ago

Nothing negative. Your post suggests you haven't touched your robots.txt yet. There are a few things you might want to add to it.
    http://www.twentysteps.com/creating-the … stxt-file/

4. brandonhart100 profile image83
    brandonhart100posted 6 years ago

Wow, Thanks everyone - this is exactly what i wanted...

5. Bill Manning profile image71
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

Some of my most highest ranking pages are nothing but amazon product links with text in them. I see no reason to exclude any page at all, so I never use the robots file.

In fact it's pretty easy to screw yourself by blocking pages. I'd leave it alone.

Bill have you found a good way to Nofollow Amazon's Javascript links?  Even with widgets are typing in the nofollow myself I can't seem to get that to work.

*widgets or (correction)

I guess I just answered my own question by reading this from google

"When Googlebot indexes a page containing JavaScript, it will index that page but it cannot follow or index any links hidden in the JavaScript itself. "

1. Bill Manning profile image71
            Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't use the javaScript widgets. I use the normal direct product links.

working