jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Any Programmers here?

1. lucasjmoore profile image60
    lucasjmooreposted 5 years ago

Hi, well i'm currently a high school student who has a conditional acceptance to college for internet application and web dev program.
    Anyways i was just wondering if anyone had any tips about programming work place, learning the code, or anything else that would be helpful to a starter.

1. tonybaldwin profile image60
      tonybaldwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I always recommend n00bs to read this: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
      How to Become a Hacker, by Eric. S. Raymond.
      (by hacker he means software developer, of course, not an illegal cracker)

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Proceed to all the programmer job boards. Determine which programming languages are most in demand for your areas of interest. Even more important, use that knowledge to try to figure out which language skills will still be in demand 5 years from now. You want to avoid spending your time and energy learning any soon-to-be-dead languages. Beware taking advice about any specific language; hidden agendas and incompetence run rampant. When given advice about any specific language, research the daylights out of it. smile

3. guerrarj profile image77
    guerrarjposted 5 years ago

Like paradigmsearch said, you should search for a language that interest you and that are in the marketing and with some demand for some years. Be careful to not waste your time with emerging languages, because they can be just a fashion.
    It' s good to know what you would like to program for, mobile, web,desktop, animation on web ?
    Nowadays, Java and .NET are that have more jobs available on the market, and they can work for mobile, web and desktop applications. Good luck for you.

4. lucasjmoore profile image60
    lucasjmooreposted 5 years ago

Thanks alot, i'll be sure to look out for languages that are not a fad, and thats a good idea to look at the job boards to see whats in demand.

5. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

Stay in touch with current development trend by joining stackexchange.com/sites or stackoverflow.com

6. 71
    EthanWilliamsonposted 5 years ago

check out codeproject.com lots of tutorials and source code

also google "programming tutorials"

7. transinata profile image79
    transinataposted 5 years ago

to learn fast about programming, find a project and make a deadline. choose the simplest one first. it can force you to learn programming. sometimes, you don't have to learn everything on programming language. that's why, learning by doing will clear up the newbie question

8. bigbird31 profile image60
    bigbird31posted 5 years ago

I graduated from high school, went to college and couldn't find anything I was interested in, and now I'm teaching myself some C++, which is supposedly the best language to learn first. You want to learn languages which are going to make you money, so research the top languages. Don't learn Java first. Java is apparently the easiest, and is quite different from the other languages and forms bad habits, so as a starting out language, I would recommend C++, go to book store and buy a $50 book that gets you into the computer programming world. It's pretty easy, and less time consuming to teach yourself. Most compilers (which is a program you will need to make programs) can be downloaded from the internet, and is especially easy to get for Macs via the App Store. This is just from my experience.