jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Google Chrome Email Widget

1. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 6 years ago

I've been using Chrome for a while now.  Like it.  But, in the old days, when I was still using IE, I used to have a Gmail widget on my desktop that allowed me to know when I got a new message in my inbox, whether or not I was signed into Gmail.  I can't find something like this for Chrome, and believe me I've looked.  Is there such an animal, and I'm looking in all the wrong places, or should I end my search?

1. smcopywrite profile image81
      smcopywriteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

great question motown2chitown. i would luv to have this widget also. have you posted this question in other forums? tweet it and put it on facebook so a larger audience can reply.
      i believe if there is one or someone can develop one, it will be used by many that have changed to GoogleChrome.
      thanks

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's not a bad idea, actually smcopywrite.  I think I will actually throw it up on my Facebook.  And if I get an answer from elsewhere, I'll gladly update the thread!

smile

2. rmr profile image87
      rmrposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't use Chrome a lot, but I did add the Google email checker to mine. It puts a Gmail icon in the upper right corner, next to the settings, and shows the number of unread emails.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … iflfhgnkff

This one says it puts a gmail notifier on your desktop:
      https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … fimhodifol

Hope that helps.

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Hey Motown,

I don't use Chrome, but use Firefox. I also do not use Gmail either, so I'm sorry I have nothing to offer. hmm

1. profile image0

Ahhhh, bugger.  Thanks for popping in anyway.  Your help (and any offer of it) is appreciated.  I may just go back to Firefox, but Chrome has features I really like a LOT.  Food for thought, I guess...off the top of your head, know if Firefox has such an animal?

1. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't have a clue, because again I don't have a Gmail account. Widgets are not something I am knowledgeable about. Again, sorry. sad

1. profile image0

Missed the don't have a gmail account part....sorry.  But again, thank you!

3. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

You can create multiple email 'accounts' in Thunderbird (email client).  The newest version will even fill in the details about server info for you, if you supply your username and password.  Gmail is an IMAP connection, meaning that your Gmail inbox is updated and synchronized automatically, as long as Thunderbird is running.  It's encrypted too, same as on the website.

Hotmail is POP only, meaning you have to actually 'get your mail'.

The drawback, although a small one, is that it's limited to sending and receiving your email only...no chat features or anything.

This is an excellent way of accessing all your emails from one location.

You can also, of course have Thunderbird send a pop-up notice when new mail arrives.

1. profile image0

Thanks, timorous.  I'll have to check that out.  It appears that this may be precisely what I'm looking for.  I'll let you know how things turn out.

smile  Thanks again!

1. timorous profile image92
        timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome.  If you need some assistance, just post another reply here. smile

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 6 years ago

For those of you who responded with attempts to assist...THANK YOU!  That said, the Gmail desktop widget appears to have gone the way of the white buffalo.  There are a number of different ones available, but they ONLY work if you are signed into Gmail.  That said, I'm going to check out the Thunderbird option as recommended by Timorous and see what kind of luck I have there.

Thanks to all, and Timorous, it appears that you are the lucky winner of.....wait for it.....absolutely nothing.  Sorry. sad  But again, thanks.

1. timorous profile image92
      timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh darn sad  Anyway...always happy to help.  I hope it works out for you.

working