Panda Or Something Else

1. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 5 years ago

OK, here’s little SEO tip that’s probably not suitable for a hub in its own but might be useful in light of recent changes at Google.

If rankings on your own sites or blogs (not HP) have dropped recently don’t automatically assume it’s because of Panda. Search Google as you would normally and take note of two or three pages that precede your listing. Now ad &filter=0 to the URL Google returned and hit return. Basically this lets you see unfiltered Google results.

More pages will be returned so what you are looking for are any of your pages that pass the pages that previously proceeded yours (rather than the actual position you hold in the SERPS). If they gain positions i.e. pass the sites that were previously outranking you the problem is not Panda related, although have tripped one of Google's filters or been hit with a penalty.

The reason this works is because Panda is an algo update so if you are affected by panda your rankings in relation to those other pages will stay the same i.e. they will still precede you. You may see other pages appearing between yours and the pages that you noted earlier, these are pages that had been filtered and are now visible.

If your pages are hit with one of Google’s filters, your rankings will improve in relation to the pages you noted earlier. Also pages that had completely disappeared might well show up again. If rankings improve, or reappear, take a close look at all the pages that precede your listing looking for pages that might be seen as duplicate or overly similar to yours.

If you are an affiliate or run an ecommerce store look for sites that share content and product description with yours, you might need to rethink your content strategy if this proves to be the case.

2. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

That looks interesting Peter. I have saved your post for future reference, thanks smile

3. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Bookmarked. Very useful. Thanks Peter!