jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Jumpy Cursor and More

1. Connie Smith profile image90
    Connie Smithposted 5 years ago

I apologize if this has been covered.  I saw that Beth asked a few months ago about a jumpy cursor, but the answers were for an HP.  I have a Sony Vaio and the cursor just goes somewhere else sometimes while I am typing, no matter the program I am typing on (ex. Facebook, Notepad, Hubpages).  It is driving me crazy!  It also did this on a Toshiba that I purchased about 8 months ago, which is one reason I got the Sony (plus wanted a lighter, more portable machine), so I figure that it must be a glitch in Windows 7.  I called Sony, they tried to help (and it helped a bit) but I still have problems with the cursor just jumping to a different line.  Occasionally, when I hit the enter button, my whole paragraph will disappear and sometimes, even take me out of the webpage or website I am viewing.  Anyone know what I can do for this?

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

Do you use an external mouse?

Connie Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi rebekah.  No, I don't.  My hand cramps when I use one, so I use the touchpad.  The mouse (touchpad) itself works fine.  The problem occurs only when I am typing.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

hmm, sorry, I don't know how to help. Hopefully someone here can help, or try googling your exact problem and see if there is help on another forum/site. Good luck.

4. Barbara Kay profile image87
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

I have this same problem with my Asus laptop. It is annoying and wastes a lot of work. It makes me wonder too if it isn't a Windows problem.

Hoping someone has the answer for this problem.  It makes me not want to write anything.  It is too frustrating!

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I had a similar problem a while back and it turned out to be caused by a faulty shockwave flash file. Redownloading it solved the problem.

I would try that but I am very computer illiterate.  Can you tell me how to do that?

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think this link should help.

http://www.shockwave.com/help/faq_flashplayer.jsp

Of course, it may not be this at all that is causing your problem, but no harm in uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it helps smile

Thank you!  I finally got the nerve to try it.  I don't yet know if it helped, but definitely hoping.  So far, while typing this, I am not having the usual problems.  If this has fixed the problem, I will be eternally grateful!  In a day or so, I will give an update to let you know if it really did the trick.

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Breath held. A jumping mouse is nearly always indicative of a software problem. Of some kind, not necessarily shockwave, but narrowing it down is difficult.
            For the record, I am at present using Windows 7 Home Edition 64- bit, and Chrome latest edition, and  have had this problem, now solved.

6. JamaGenee profile image87
    JamaGeneeposted 5 years ago

Wow... I've had the jumping cursor problem since getting a new hard drive installed in my Sony VAIO in December. All this time I thought the techie at the computer place did "something" since the cursor didn't jump around before I got the new hd. Also thought it *could* be a software problem but was still there after countless "important" Windows updates.

By coincidence, today I was prompted to download and install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.  That was a few hours ago and since then the prob seems to have disappeared.  If updating the Flash Player fixed the jumpy cursor, all that'll slow me down now is Fat Finger Syndrome! smile

Thanks, IzzyM! smile smile

7. JamaGenee profile image87
    JamaGeneeposted 5 years ago

Forgot to add that I had Vista Pro on the old hd. Bought the laptop used and the program CDs didn't come with, but the computer store didn't have a license for Vista Pro, only Vista Home, so that was the version installed on the new hd.

working