jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What value does old technology have?

1. gramarye profile image61
    gramaryeposted 5 years ago

I've just been cleaning out my shed and found old stuff such as the old big floppy disks, some really old sim city games, old dos manuals (3.2) I think?

Does this sort of stuff have any value as collectibles?

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hope not! I just heaved a stack of it! lol

1. gramarye profile image61
        gramaryeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess that's why I'm asking the question ... I'd hate to chuck it and then find it has more value than clicks on hubpages :-)

2. recommend1 profile image72
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

Anything old that had some value when it was new must become collectible one day - in the case of your stuff it might be a longer time than you will be prepared to keep it ?

I had one of the very first 'brick' portable telephones and kept it in working condition and 'on line' as it would clearly become valuable at some point - my ex waited until I was away then dumped it so that I could not stop her.

3. tamarindcandy profile image59
    tamarindcandyposted 5 years ago

Nah, though you can always try to take them apart and turn them into art and craft objects?

4. CHRIS57 profile image59
    CHRIS57posted 5 years ago

Consumables like floppy disks or cassettes are worthless.

If you find something nostalgic, then look if there is a serial number or some proof of origin.

There is a very old Apple II computer collecting dust in my house. It was built in 1977 with serial no. 2001. Came with a RAM upgrade to 16kB and the red book manual with handwriting from Steven Wozniak (co founder of Apple). It was my first computer and i could not dispose of it.
    Recently my son in law told me that this type of old computer was traded for some 15.000 USD and up. Sometimes it is worth not throwing things away.

5. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Old stuff generally has no value unless it's quite rare, and in mint condition.  Also, lots of people have to want it badly enough to pay a ridiculous price for it.

Computer technology in particular is not old enough or rare enough to become a collectable item.  The old stuff is amusing, just to see how far we've come, but otherwise belongs in a museum, of which there are quite a few.  Or recycled in some way.