jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Starting a website, advice please.

1. builtoncupsoftea profile image62
    builtoncupsofteaposted 5 years ago

So, while I enjoy my HubPages, and plan to start making a circuit of backlinks, I'd like to go the traditional route and start a website myself and develop it.

The things that get me though...

1. Which site should I register my domain at? Or does it not really matter?
    2. Once I have a domain name, I then have to get it hosted too right? Any recommendations? (I'm from the UK if that makes a difference)
    3. Is it feasible to use a template design? Or are there any programs that can help me create a semi-decent looking site without too much scripting knowlege?

Cheers in advance. I'm pretty much asking to be spoonfed, because I've looked on the subject of domains etc before and it just seems like the information only comes in mountains, and having spent endless hours the past week or two reading about Affiliate Marketing, SEO and MLM, I'm beat and asking for help!

2. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Before you even get to the point of a domain name or hosting, you need to have a concept of what your site is about.  Is it a blog, an information site, a how-to site?  You need to have the idea fleshed out so you know where you're going with it.

Onced you've nailed the idea down, the domain name will need to be the most relevant thing you can find that matches what your website's about.  Where you register doesn't really matter, it's more about price.  The registrar service is just a go-between.

For U.K. hosting, you'll have to ask around.

For templates...if you're unwilling to design and tweak the site, you might go with Wordpress installed on your host server (it's dead simple).  Hundreds of 'themes' or templates are available.  You don't have to know anything about coding, unless you want to.

For non-wordpress, website templates are a good starting point, although the paid ones are much better than free ones.

Hope that helps some. smile

1. builtoncupsoftea profile image62
      builtoncupsofteaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yea I get that, one of the things I really enjoy about Hubs/Blogs is that I can generate traffic while posting articles about ANY subject, whatever strikes me that day. But I get that for a website to really be successful in attracting traffic it has to have an obvious target audience.

I did look at a few Wordpress and while alot of them look "bloggy" I think I'd be able to work with one of those.

Thanks for all your advice, its appreciated, just need to figure what I want it to be about hmm

3. Richieb799 profile image65
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

Or better still you need to find a niche keyword and include that in your domain name, one that brings in traffic.

4. waynet profile image47
    waynetposted 5 years ago

It all depends on whether you would want to do a long term blog site like Wordpress or simply create a static website that you just drive traffic to from your hubpages with a mimimum of 5 or 6 pages on your website.

I would definitely work out your topic first!

5. R.S. Hutchinson profile image85
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago

If it's a traditional website I recommend the following (after EXTENSIVE research into the matter!!!)

1. Domain register at Godaddy.com  Cheap
    2. Host at JustHost.com  (best for your money- hands down; ipages.com came in a close second on my list)
    3. If you want to use a template go to templatemonster.com (very cheap and great customer service)

6. Richieb799 profile image65
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

One.com you just pay for the domain name and thats it $15