jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Can anybody explain me the subdomain thing??

1. Sneha Sunny profile image86
    Sneha Sunnyposted 5 years ago

I didn't published for almost a month. And when I came back I saw the subdomain written in red on the top. So can anybody explain me what is it?? And is it necessary to claim a subdomain??

1. Mark Ewbie profile image84
      Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wrote a hub on it, they'll snip this but...

http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/Why-S … -Fix-Panda

Once snipped, try the sixth of my latest hubs - "Why Separate Subdomains..."

If that gets snipped then I'm sure there will be lots of comments anyway.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image83
      CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sneha Sunny- read Mark's hub, I really found it difficult to understand, but Mark has a way of explaining complex matters really clearly and it was like a light bulb turning on in my mind

3. Cheryl M Williams profile image61
      Cheryl M Williamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A subdomain is literally a subtext or a "junior" domain (e.g. snehasunny) to the "main" domain or url (hubpages.com). It's the best way I can explain it lol. Subdomains allow pages to be more personal if not more professional looking. For example, your url will appear: www.snehasunny.hubpages.com.  Hope this helps.

Sneha Sunnyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

thanks a lot...... I finally understood what is a subdomain. I'm definitely going to claim that. BTW is it necessary to claim a subdomain?? Just for info.....

Go to your account page. Somewhere at the top it gives instructions...

i have claimed my subdomain. to make my hubpages profile more personal I sacrificed my facebook likes and tweets sad
            will it effect the traffic?? I saw a thread in which many people said that they the traffic to their hubs has decreased.

I don't know Sneha.  But we had no choice anyway.  Some people are pleased, others less so.  It is too early to tell, and no one knows what Google Panda will make of our subdomains.

The theory makes some sense - if you have the right pages for Panda.  Reasonable quality (however that is judged), not copied.

For me I think things are better, but it is slightly difficult to tell.  I seem to get less feed through from other HubPage articles, but better search visibility.  I think I am pleased, but it has only been two weeks.  Let's see what three months brings.

that means the only thing we can do is "waiting". I hope it'd be better.

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

That which was and is will soon no longer be.

That which is and will be is better than what was.

3. profile image60
    elliegouldingposted 5 years ago

A subdomain hoes before .com or .org or .net .edu

For example elliegoulding.hubpages.com

Hubpages is the subdomain

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Um, no. Your username is the subdomain.  Hubpages is the top domain.

4. mega1 profile image82
    mega1posted 5 years ago

think of domains as web addresses, like a main house street address - 11 Elm St, for instance - a subdomain is like the guest house in the back which is 11A Elm St.  - both get mail deliveries of their own, but they are on the same property.  I try to think of the internet as this big solid globe with cities and towns and spaces to be filled up, only it is seemingly limitless - becuz its made of airspace!

working