jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Transferring files from a Desktop to a Laptop

1. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 8 years ago

I just got this new desktop which has Windows Vista installed on it.  My old Desktop, tht I will still be using, has Windows XP.  I want to transfer some pictures to my Laptop, bit not delete them from my desktop computer.  How do I do that without the cable or cd's?  They are on a network but I can't seem to get that setup so that I can access files from the other computer when I am on the Laptop and vice versa.  Can anyone tell me how to do this and help me?

2. Hery Yansen profile image63
    Hery Yansenposted 8 years ago

If you've already see the network laptop or pc, don't forget to turn on the sharing mode (sharing directory or sharing files). If you don't turn on this sharing mode (there will be a picture of a hand on the files or the directory), you won't get anywhere.

3. BeatsMe profile image81
    BeatsMeposted 8 years ago

Of the little things I know, here are your options.

You said you don't want to transfer to cd, but that is one option. You must buy cd-rw. cd rewritable. you can transfer files by saving your work to cd. The files can be erased, but be careful when you use it. A little mistake and the files may probably become permanent. So read carefully.

Another option you have is to buy a USB flash drive. I think the standard memory size is 512 MB, I don't know if there are higher memory available. Just make sure that your PC and laptop both have USB port. You can transfer and delete files here like you do in floppy disks.

I hope that helps.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 8 years ago

Thanks to both of you.  I did get it set up without one of those connectors.  I wish I knew the steps that I went through --I could have written a hub about it!

5. starcatchinfo profile image40
    starcatchinfoposted 8 years ago

A file cannot be transferred from different packages [ I mean vista and xp ] as the two packages are not compatible with each other . But still you can try transferring the pictures by a pen drive / USB Port.