jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Hard Drive Failure

1. 0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

The hard drive went out on my computer.  I am wondering how to buy a replacement drive.  For instance, how do I know the one I get will work with my computer?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why don't you open your computer up, and buy one of the same make and model?

1. 0
        SirDentposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can find the same model number HD but not everything matches up.  For instance, the mnodel number will be the same but other numbers are different.

2. skear profile image93
      skearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's probably SATA, but if it's really old it might be IDE.  Once you open your computer and locate the drive you'll see which type your computer uses. 

If you check the drive's label you can google the model number to see what its current capacity and speed is so you can find a comparable replacement.

Laptop's use a 2.5" form factor drive but they can also be SATA/IDE.

You may also want to consider upgrading to a solid state drive for an extra speed boost.

3. 62
      Eudorawhiteposted 5 years ago in reply to this

1. Remove unneeded or rarely used programs. This will improve the capacity of the memory. Check the installed programs in the Control Panel and start uninstalling the programs that are not used anymore.
      2. Hard Drive cleanup- If there are unused files like music, videos and documents, these should be deleted to make space in the hard drive. Internet cookies should also be cleaned from the computer.
      3. System Defrag- This will compact the files and organize it to make it easier to launch when opened. Go to Local Disk in My Computer and click Tools and follow the instructions.
      4. Increase RAM- Check the capacity of the RAM. This can be increased either by buying a new RAM or setting it to maximum. RAM can also be increased by not running too many programs simultaneously.
      5. Cleaning the Computer Registry- Regularly cleaning the registry avoids invalid keys from getting into it. Invalid keys from uninstalled programs cause various errors on the computer and can get a computer very slow.
      Registry cleaning software can be downloaded from the internet for free. It will regularly make scans on the registry and clean it if any error is detected. Maintenance of the registry is a must because it can easily

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

How old is the computer? Maybe the time has comeā€¦ smile

Do some price checking. You might be pleasantly surprised. smile

1. 0

It is a 2008 model.  A new hard drive should be about 50 to 60 bucks.  I only need to be sure the new hard drive will work.

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

You need only the right connection type as explained with skear. Hard drives are highly compatible, any purchased in the last 10 years will work.

What is the unenviable task ahead of you is installing Windows and installing all those programs you previously had.

If you have any data, like emails, photos, music, movies on the old defunct hard drive, that data can be retrieved by data capture experts, but they are extremely expensive.

Best of Luck SirDent.

1. 0

Thanks.  I guess I misunderstood what Skear was saying. Installinh Wondows is no big deal and many of the programs I had are saved on a flashdrive.  The rest I can redownload.

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

Kewl and happy to help.

5. 0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

Got my new hard drive, installed and formatted it and now my computer is good as new.  Thanks for the help everyone. smile