jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

An AUTHOR of popular CS Books Reads MY Blog!!

1. melbel profile image91
    melbelposted 5 years ago

So yesterday was an awesome day! I am a computer science student learning the Perl programming language. Anyway, there are these Perl programming books:

Anyway there are a bunch of those books, "Learning Perl", "Intermediate Perl", "Mastering Perl."

So I found my blog on this feed aggregator that the one of the authors of these books maintains and I was like, "Cool, whatever."

Then I get an email from the author of one of these books that was like, "Hey, I read your blog so if you ever have a question about Perl just ask it on your blog and I'll comment."

So, I opened up commenting and got some comments on some of my posts by that author. Made me feel sort of awesome. It's like a nerd's dream come true. Well, second to meeting the cast of Star Trek: Next Generation... that would be cool too.

Just sharing because cool things like this don't normally happen to me. smile

1. vox vocis profile image92
      vox vocisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm glad for you melbel. You're a great hubber and a great blogger, I'm sure - so, you deserve it smile

BTW You're currently, living my dream (I'm interested in studying computer science, too - not sure I can go back to university for another five years, though)

1. melbel profile image91
        melbelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh goodness, just get one of those "learn a language" books. Seriously, I paired two of those books together and learned a semester's worth of CS in one month.

I used the exercises from "Programming Logic & Design" (The rest of the book was so so, but the exercises were great.)

The other book was "Learn to Program" by Chris Pine.

The Logic & Design book asks you to write a program in pseudo-code, but instead of doing that, I did it using the Ruby I was learning from "Learn to Program." After reading "Learn to Program" I recommend reading "Well-Grounded Rubyist."

I mean, if you want to learn Ruby, that is. There are some Python books for teens, "Hello World" which are great from what I hear. I know, I know, the whole "for teens" thing knocks down the self-esteem by a few levels, but it's the perfect intro to CS.

I'm far from being smart in computer science. If someone hired me to program something, I'd sit in the corner and cry for a while.

Thanks! I appreciate the comment. smile It does feel nice. I hope I get more positivity flowing my way... and to haha, everyone, really.

2. goldenpath profile image81
    goldenpathposted 5 years ago

Congratulations!  Being recognized makes all your efforts worth it.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image83
    Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago

Congratulations, melbel!  It's great to get such positive attention from an "expert."  You must be doing something right!

4. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

I enjoyed reading this Melbel. smile What an awesome person to help you along the way with your career.

5. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Very nice for you.  smile  Congratulations. I imagine you'll have more such experiences as time, and your career, keep going along.