jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Do you have an external hard drive?

1. lovelypaper profile image69
    lovelypaperposted 5 years ago

My dinosaur computer is slow and my sister was telling me I should get an external hard drive. Can someone tell me if they think this would help and about how much it costs. Do you think it's worth it or should one just get another computer?

1. itech profile image57
      itechposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Click here to search http://x.hubpages.com/x/hubpages_120-60.gif for Cheapest External Hardrives.

2. truthfornow profile image78
      truthfornowposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You might want to get something to back up your computer. I have a seagate too and it is great.  I use it to back up my stuff in cause my computer does crash.  I had one computer that overheated on me and it was not pretty.  You could also try getting rid of some of your programs that you don't use anymore ~ might free up space on your computer.

2. MiAH_BARROWS profile image60
    MiAH_BARROWSposted 5 years ago

How old is your computer?  An external hard drive would be cheaper than a whole new computer, but it is good to upgrade every so often to get newer and safer software.  The external hard drive can also be used to move the files from one computer to another, if you choose to buy one.  It can also be used for backups and file syncing.

I own a 1TB Seagate external hard drive.  It costed around $100 when I purchased it, but it has been over a year, so the price may be a little lower now.

3. lovelypaper profile image69
    lovelypaperposted 5 years ago

My computer is about ten years old I guess. I should get another one but I have to spend money on more important things right now like a new roof, new carpet, tires for two vehicles.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I don't have an external drive, but when I bought my current (desktop) computer I took the hard drive from the old one and installed it in the new one.

I have used that old hard drive for years now after putting it in the new machine.  The one that came with the new computer has become a place to back up and store sensitive information, a location for the original windows (I've used that a couple of times) and the drivers for the original equipment.

It's actually worked out very well.

5. jonte2020 profile image62
    jonte2020posted 5 years ago

I have a few external harddrives. If you have a lot of objects that requires a lot of space, you should by external harddrives smile If you just want your computer to work faster, you will most likely have to buy a new one. Your components are probably old, then it's no use just to buy a new harddrive. If you have some computer knowledge, you can install a type of harddrive that is super fast; called SSD. These harddrives usually doesn't have any more capacity than 60 gb, but the idea is to install Windows (or any other operating system) on that harddrive, and then have another storage drive where you keep all your files! Just a simple external drive won't change anything that has to do with your speed in windows, then you'll have to install windows on a new harddrive!

The best and cheapest way to get a new computer is to buy components and build one yourself! It sounds harder and much more complicated than it actually is!

6. iviskei profile image82
    iviskeiposted 5 years ago

I don't think an external hard drive will help speed up your system much, but it will safely store your files and whatnot in case your computer does crash from being a dinosaur. I have an external that is 1 trillibyte. It cost around $100. I store a bunch of pictures, videos, and music on it. The only downside to my external is that it requires a power source. However, you can purchase passport external hard drives. They are smaller in memory, but they don't require anything but your computer to run and they are easier to travel with.