jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Watches refuse to work

1. 0
    Wentworth35posted 5 years ago

For the past couple of years, I have had to stop wearing a watch, because it stops working, within a short time of putting it on.  I have had several watches, but the problem happens with all of them.  Yesterday, my mom bought me a watch, and I put it on, and within an hour it had stopped working.  I took it off, and it started working again.  I did this several times, and even left it on the table over night, and it continued to work.  However, every time I tried to wear it again, it stopped, sometimes after only a few minutes.

I have looked at a sceptics site, which discussed this problem, where many people claimed to have the same problem.  However, the answer from science was that no such phenomenon exists, and many doubted that people who say they have this probelm are telling the truth.

I wondered if anyone else has this problem, or has any explanations for it.

1. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't wear a watch for the same reason, I did have a digital diving watch that did work on me - so maybe cagsil's reasoning may be valid as the watch was rated for 150 meters pressure.   However, many TV's change channel when I walk into the room or walk past them - I am told my natural electrical frequency could be close to the tv remote control electrics.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I would have to say that it's the pressure applied to the back of the watch. It could be a defect, if the manufacturer is the same. However, if it's not the same manufacturer, then it's really odd.

The back of the watch is actually the cover for the watch's mechanisms. If too much pressure is applied, then it could be stopping(compressing) the inner workings. That's about the only explanation I could come up with.

It's happened to me, once or twice, during my younger years of wearing a watch. In my later years, I switched to a watch fob(a watch with a chain that goes in your pocket). And, now I don't even wear a watch.

3. 0
    Wentworth35posted 5 years ago

One thing I should have added, is that my mom has tried wearing the watch, but it works when on her wrist.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What type of band does it have?

How tight is it on your wrist? How tight is it on her wrist?

Again, it's about the pressure being applied to the back of the watch, which could be the problem.

1. 0
        Wentworth35posted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is a leather strap.  I wear it  more tightly than my mom, because her wrist is much bigger than mine, and although she has it on the last hole, it is still too tight for her.  My wrist is quite thin, so I need it on a tighter fit.

1. Cagsil profile image83
          Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I expected that.

Take the watch into your hands and apply pressure to the back of the watch and see what happens. The backing could be made flimsy and there might lay the problem. Squeeze the back of the watch and check to see if it gives way in your hand. It can be corrected by a jeweler, one who specializes in fixing watches.

Edit: The explanation for why your mom it works and you it doesn't is due to the amount of tissue(skin) between bone and exterior. Your wrist is thin, so it's more boney and mom's has more meat on it, less hardened but more soft tissue. wink