How will the Internet evolve?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. mr-burns profile image60
    mr-burnsposted 12 years ago

We have seen the Internet grow quickly to alter our lives. It has created new jobs, markets and innovation. What will it do in the coming years? How do you think it will evolve?

2. 2uesday profile image67
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

A type of implanted micro-chip will abolish the need for mobile phones, sat.navs.  etc.

We will (possibly) all be directly connected to a search and direct engine sad roll if we are not careful.

3. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

i think one of the ways it'll evolve is that I suspect in the years to come that all gaming consoles will be fazed out eventually to where games will be online exclusively to where people can download it onto their pc or play it online for a monthly fee, as it could save them bundles on manufacturing costs.  another thing that I can think could happen is the internet being integrated into tvs, so it'll allow people to read their e-mails while watching a football game.  Hell, you can practically do that now on most pcs and laptops anyway, but i have a feeling it'll be a matter of time before televisions will start to allow internet access as well too.

mr-burnsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This really isn't far off at the moment. We already have the Internet on TVs to allow us to watch things like iPlayer and play certain games. It's not large jump to check emails etc.

4. 2uesday profile image67
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

You will have access in every room, not connected in a way that we cannot even imagine now. Walls will be the screen like on-line computerised versions of inter- active white boards.

mr-burnsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A number of YouTube videos can be found saying that it is already being worked on. I wonder how long it will take to come about?

1. 2uesday profile image67
        2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I will have to take a look for the videos.

All this though just makes me want a home that is built and run in a sustainable way more than I want increased communicative devices and whatever. I would prefer that I could have a house built that used energy efficiently and only when necessary. That is more important to me than a refrigerator that keeps tabs on what shopping I need.

Re, The automatic shopping list I think we could do that now if manufactures wanted to - the little squares that are used with phones(not sure what they are called) - a version of that could be on products like a bar code is now swipe it over a reader and you have it on your next order list.

I never thought things would have changed as much as they have in the last ten years, another five and typing on a keyboard will probably have gone. I guess we may even have 3D internet (?) at some point in the future.

My concern is that the teens of today may see communication 24/7 as an essential part of life and this change could be altering their future more than we could even guess.

5. Watcher07 profile image61
    Watcher07posted 12 years ago

The internet has already enhanced our connected lives to a pretty full extent.  I do see however a future where the internet and our connectedness will lead us to rely on it for nearly every facet of our lives.  Right now (if I had the link I would post it) there are companies designing kitchen appliances that communicate with one another.  For instance, if you take out the last of the ketchup and don't put it back in the fridge, then the fridge will add it to a digital shopping list.  As things get low or used up, it will self generate a list for you to buy.  The microwave and oven will simply have recipes instantly available via the web, you pick a recipe and it will automatically cook the meal for you adjusting the temperature and settings as needed on its own.  These are things that have not been released yet but have been demoed.

There are programs and hardware to interface with your house power meter and communicate back to your own system so you can evaluate high usage and the system can figure out what is consuming your power and create a plan to eliminate the extra consumption or simply control the outlets for you while you are gone and shut them off or turn them on as needed.  I believe an MIT group has created a platform for electric cars to share unneeded electricity with the power grid to take the weight off the overall system and can communicate via the net to the system to receive a credit and such.  The sheer immensity of how the internet will interact with our lives and already does is intense.  I see a future where the internet has evolved into a necessity for every man, woman, and child.  Now the real question is, is that a good thing or not?  Movies and sci-fi explore the ridiculous and try to bring it into the real when it comes to post-apocalyptic futures, but the reality of the situation is that we could very well find ourselves in a world dominated by connected machines and we're headed that way at a breakneck pace.  Skynet might be just around the corner.  Not being anti-tech paranoid, but think we should be responsible about how quickly we're advancing.

6. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I think the internet is due for a long holiday anytime soon as the governments get more of a grip on us.  The US has already changed its laws to allow them to shut down the net ready for the unrest that is inevitable as the economy collapses.   China already has a (loose) grip on the Chinese net and is constantly working on how to control it.

I foresee soon that we will only be able to access our own country permitted sites, and foreign sites that are specifically permitted and cached in the country they are viewed in.

7. Beyond366 profile image59
    Beyond366posted 12 years ago

It has evolved.
    Who knows? Everything tangible will be connected via internet.

8. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Complexity continues to exponentially increase. Critical mass will soon be reached and sentience born.

It will not like us...

1. leroy64 profile image65
      leroy64posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paradigmsearch,

Which would be worse: Internet does not like us, or Internet loves us?  Personally, I would be insulted if the Internet just ignores us.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a very good point! Either alternative could be very, very bad... lol

Let's hope we just get insulted.

9. rus-leelaratne profile image59
    rus-leelaratneposted 12 years ago

Today we get many types of signals into the house.  Phone lines, TV signals, radio signals, mobile phone signals, etc.  In the future we will only make one connection and that will be the Internet.  From there we will do everything including watching TV, listening to radio and making calls.

10. Beyond366 profile image59
    Beyond366posted 12 years ago

Look, Internet is basically a few computers wired up together.

I would multiply that 'few' by a billion.

Its just that our protocol is similar, hence we communicate.

What if we get all the devices to use the same protocol?

11. whatarethenews profile image60
    whatarethenewsposted 12 years ago

Internet will be most likely a shopping source for all the people in the world as it is growing day by day.
    Researches are being completed through internet now a days. Universities and colleges and even all people around the world try internet to find their desired data and resources through internet. Internet will erase the physical involvement in future according to my view.

12. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

The shift from desk top to mobile will take over very quickly and will impact everything that we do. The largest impact could be in medical and health - if the applications are developed and the baby boomers grasp them. the cultural shift will be fascinating in the next 24-36 months.

What will the mobile shift mean to online marketing, bloggers?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)