jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

My son's computer is OLD

1. delmer47 profile image59
    delmer47posted 5 years ago

And it takes forever to load. Is there an easy way that I can add more memory to is so that it moves faster?

1. Shawn Scarborough profile image83
      Shawn Scarboroughposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Adding more memory may help speed up the computer.  However, the slowness is probably caused more by Windows than the computer hardware.  Doing some maintenance on Windows will help speed up the computer.  Defragmenting the hard drive, deleting temporary internet files and removing programs that are no longer used is a good place to start.  Do a Google search on make windows faster and you will find step by step articles on how to accomplish this.

2. JoseJr777 profile image61
      JoseJr777posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Memory is sometime not or yes help, i may suggestion, http://lubuntu.net/, and install, it is will be better smooth.  Trust me.

2. supplies expert profile image60
    supplies expertposted 5 years ago

Adding RAM Random Access Memory is pretty simple and anyone can really do it. It will speed up the computer because it can store more processes at once, which then will make you be able to load programs and other things quicker. But also, I would agree with Shawn's recommendation on cleaning up Windows. Instead of doing all that, you could just back up all the files your son and you need on an USB Flash drive or an external hard drive and do a complete system reformat. This would re install windows and have it as if you were starting out fresh. Typically you see a noticeable speed difference, but then you need to reinstall all your programs and restore all your old files. Before you do this, make sure you back up all important files and that you have the CD Key's for all your programs that you've installed. Otherwise I would not recommend doing this.