What do you think of Google’s move to encrypt searches?

1. SpiritLeo profile image74
    SpiritLeoposted 4 years ago

Probably most of you have noticed that Google has made some search changes.
    Some time ago I came across an interesting article on webpronews.com and I would love to share it with you and find out your opinion about this change.
    I would like to quote:

[...Last week, the search giant said that it would begin encrypting logged-in searches that users do by default, when they are logged into Google.com. This further integration of a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) will prevent search marketers from receiving referral data from the websites consumers click on from Google search results...]

The source: http://www.webpronews.com/seos-were-not … ch-2011-10

2. brad4l profile image83
    brad4lposted 4 years ago

I am of a mixed mind, as the changes do make it more difficult to track visitors and push people to use services like Google Analytics or Google Webmaster tools, while making it more difficult for third-party analytics to gather data on Google Searches. I can certainly see a conflict of interest here and how it affects many users.

With that said, I think the move is important, because SSL protects user keywords from easily being tracked and will probably push many larger sites to make sure they have ssl enabled.

Of course, the tracking is still easily available, unfortunately typically without a warrant, to government agencies, so this move is only a partial step in the fight to help protect online privacy.