jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Choosing a domain for my SEO work...opinions please :)

1. Richieb799 profile image68
    Richieb799posted 4 years ago

I'm just thinking about setting up a portfolio site for my SEO work but I want a url with a keyword so I can rank it. The only url left is a .cc

I'm not concerned whether people remember the URL extension, because I know .cc isn't widely known...but I'll get traffic from Google. Do you think a .cc would be frowned upon by potential employers?
    I have a relevant catchphrase 'Choose Consultancy'

I have another .cc url and I know Google doesn't discriminate against extensions when ranking.

2. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 4 years ago

From the horse's mouth (especially towards the end of the video)

I am also looking to start a website, and contrary to what I have done often - I will not put keywords in it. Currently hunting for a good, brandable domain name!

3. Richieb799 profile image68

yes but I might put ads on the site as well, so I will want it to rank quickly and having the keyword in the URL is proven to make it rank higher quicker.

Matts just talking about people remembering the name and I'm not really bothered if people remember it as such because it would be a .cc anyway..

Thanks for the vid though

4. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 4 years ago

You're welcome!

Keywords in the domain name still work though, so you can't possibly go wrong.

5. Richieb799 profile image68

Its amazing how people have phobia's of certain extensions and they are left for the picking, we have registered 2 .uk.com domains for our business and they are already ranking on the first page of Google UK big_smile

1. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's not so much a phobia... it is generally for the following reasons:

The top first tier extensions have been purchased for investment purposes - eg: com - net - org.

The top extensions have been secured for biz trademarking or specific branding purposes and therefore don't have to worry about purchasing lesser extensions as they have the ability to cause any potential owners of those lesser domains to Take Down any sites established under THAT NAME.

The domain has had a colorful history or there is no interest in developing a site within those parameters of region, lesser value and pecking order, extension style or name degradation via abbreviations, add-on extensions ('a' 'the' etc ), numerals or dashes (my-domain) etc.

dot uk dot com - is Not a First tier domain - it is a 2nd tier, therefore it's value is considerably less than first tier domains.

So there are a huge amount of things that should be considered BEFORE you assume that the name you think will suit you - will actually suit your longer term planning.  Besides people like PD use top tier domains as investment vehicles and as such, generally have huge portfolios that are crammed with key word domains. smile

The smart money and key factors required for decision making will vary greatly, depending on What You Are Trying TO ACHIEVE at any given time. Think investing in scrip... it is a similar investment tool.  Good Luck.

Maybe I should Share some of my knowledge on this subject and the biz opportunities available - instead of writing poetry hubs big_smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago in reply to this

...sharing your knowledge is good..........I think you should still write your poetry too!...i'd miss it for sure...

6. BlissfulWriter profile image85
    BlissfulWriterposted 4 years ago

Personally, I try to get a only a .com or .net domain name whenever possible.  If it is taken, just add variations to the name and hopefully find one that is not taken.  I don't like the idea of a .cc domain name.  But that's just me.