jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Desk Top Storage or My Documents

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

OK, I must admit my lack of expertise. Can someone please help me out? Will saving too many things to my desk top slow down my computer? My husband keeps everything. I probably keep too much. Can someone guide us please?

1. greencap profile image58
      greencapposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For performance, it doesn't matter where you save your files.

But I would recommend not to save your files on desktop if you don't take regular backups. In case your operating system crashes, all the data on desktop/my documents is likely to be lost.

So better save your data on a partition other than one containing the operating system

2. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

You could get a separate hard disk for storage which works like a USB key only with more storage. That is how I back up my photos and it is small and portable if you need to take it with you.

3. skear profile image92
    skearposted 4 years ago

In general the amount of files on a hard drive will have a very small impact on it's performance.

If the drive is over 90% full then you can start seeing some issues with fragmented files and other problems though.

Low memory is one of the biggest causes of slow computers.  Lots of applications like to run when the computers starts in the system tray which over time can slow things down.

To get an idea how much space you have used open up 'My Computer', right click on your C: drive and select properties.

Task manager can show you how much memory (RAM) is available and in use.

When in doubt it's usually good to remove unused files and programs.

4. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 4 years ago

You should consider getting an external backup so that if the HD fails you do not lose all your information. You can set it up to backup weekly...

1. Julester profile image12
      Julesterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree with SlimeyC - you can't have too many backups. I have half-a-dozen memory sticks, and alternate round each every week. That way I have 6 weeks of backups for my documents (handy if you delete one, and don't notice for a couple of weeks!)

5. emrldphx profile image59
    emrldphxposted 4 years ago

For backup, if it's not an issue, I recommend an online backup service.

For storing your files, it doesn't matter where they are stored. What is important is the organization. If you want to keep things on the desktop, I would recommend just having special folders for each category.

External drives are nice, and USB sticks are nice. Just be aware that things like USB sticks wear out with usage, and are more prone to accidents and failures than reliable online backups.