jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Local Scottish Police Force Warns of New Internet Scam

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

Strathclyde Police - the force responsible for Glasgow and West Central Scotland - has issued a warning about a new scam appearing online. Apparently, a pop up is appearing telling users that their PC has been locked as they are guilty of viewing adult content. They are requested to call a number and pay a fine of one hundred pounds sterling to have it unlocked!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g … t-15910819

When I read this article, I first of all laughed, then I wondered what the online scammers will come up with next. Pretty soon, however, I thought that if anyone is actually stupid enough to fall for it, they deserve to lose their hundred pounds. What do you think? Guilty consciences, perhaps...???

(PS No I have not seen the pop-up! lol)

1. Sally's Trove profile image98
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Scammers may prey on the stupid, but they also prey on the uninformed. I can see many older folks falling for this, not because they are stupid, but just because they believe they've done something wrong. This is a sick, sick attack on the vulnerable.

Thanks so much for sharing. It's another pitfall to make our friends aware of.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is an excellent point, Sally's Trove. You are absolutely correct. I hadn't thought of that. I suppose there may be some people who are so horrified by the suggestion that they would gladly pay up rather than face any potential "Shame" in the eyes of their peers.

Thank you for pointing this out. Hopefully, whoever they are, they will be caught soon!

1. Sally's Trove profile image98
          Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hope so, too.

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

With Sally here. Just sick and preying on the uninformed.

I see the link talks about adult sites.

It's my guessing that there are many who click on adult sites, but they are not sure what is legal and what is not.

But if they are themselves in a position of trust, they will pay up rather than risk prosecution.

Too many people don't know the Law.

Adult sites may be perfectly legal. I have no idea because I don't visit them if only because of the risk of malware.

Apart from the fact that I have no interest.

But many people do, especially lonely people, and you know, whatever floats your boat?

working