jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Removal of Malware: System Fix

1. Lapse profile image60
    Lapseposted 4 years ago

Somehow I've contracted a nice little malware program that I believe is called System Fix.  If you Google it and scam or something like that you'll see all about it.  I tried a couple of the fixes they recommend such as installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware item.  I run the scan (quick and slow scan) it quarantines 7 items then reboot like it says but the System Fix crap keeps popping up. 
    Obviously I'm not dead in the water since I'm asking for help here, but my finctionality is limited and more importantly things are slow and the pop ups are bad.  Before I randomly pick another "fix" that might be wrong, does anyone out there know what WILL work?

1. Paulius profile image79
      Pauliusposted 4 years ago in reply to this

When you're infected anything installed after that might be compromised. You got two option now :
      Use online scanner (google "free online antivirus")
      create a bootable usb stick with an antimalware in it and scan it from there.

The sure thing would be backup all your data, format and resintalled the whole thing. In fact you should backup your data before trying any of my suggestion above.

2. Julester profile image11
    Julesterposted 4 years ago

Have you tried "Spybot search and destroy"? I find that this coupled with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware sorts most things out.

1. Lapse profile image60
      Lapseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Used that app before on a different PC and liked it, so I should have used that!

3. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 4 years ago

system restore to an earlier time before the download. *Not same as full re-formatting of the hard drive*

1. Lapse profile image60
      Lapseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Should have tried that first...  duh...
      I just kept trying the Malware Bytes strategy and it eventually seems to have worked.  Been a couple days now with no ill effects.  The good side of the "System Fix" malware is that its not a virus and doesn't disable most functionality, so if you know enough to be dangerous like me, you can push the fake warnings to side and keep on surfing which is what I was doing for almost a week. 
      Next time I'll do the last known good like I should have...  That was dumb of me not to atleast TRY it...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.