My Disc Drive Won't Read a Disk - help

1. quotations profile image94
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone can help me with this. I have a game program that has a security feature that prevents you from playing the game unless one of its disks is in the cd drive, even though the game has been installed on the hard drive.

Lately I have been getting a warning telling me to place the disk in the hard drive, even though the disk is in there. This problem started after I had to shut the computer down one day and left the disk in the drive.

At first I was able to get around the problem by rebooting the computer. But lately the computer doesnt seem to recognize that disk at all. When I put it in the drive, it reads it for a few seconds but never displays its contents and the game won;t play saying that there is no disk.

I am not having this problem with any other disk and everything else plays fine. I have tried washing the game disk with soap and water. There are some very small scratches but they are very minor and I would be surprised if they had any impact on how the disk plays.

I have googled this problem but with the exception of suggestions to use soap and water I have not found any recommendations. If anyone has encountered this problem before I would really appreciate learning how to get around this issue.

1. AEvans profile image75
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Use the CD cleaners and never use soap and water as believe it or not soap is abrasive on a CD. If you have a PC which windows program are you running? Go to type in troubleshooting and once it takes you to the next page type in computer doesn't recognize disc , this will give you a list of topics and I believe that one of those may answer your question.
      If you have a Mac go to type in the same thing and it will guide you to your problem, if not contact the companies depending on which you have and there support is free and they should be able to answer your question. smile

2. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 8 years ago

There are some disc cleaning techniques such as using brass cleaner and proper dedicated cd cleaning devices.  I'd say that was your only choice.

Also it's pretty standard for PC games to need you to have the disc in the CD drive, unless you get a game through download services like Steam or Direct2Drive