jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe that cell phones can have a negative impact on students

1. Cardia profile image89
    Cardiaposted 4 years ago

I'm doing a project for my college class, and the topic that I've chosen is "Cell phones can serve as a distraction to students." (I'm currently in my last year of a 2 year college. The students would be roughly ages 17-19

Basically, I'm trying to prove that cell phones can distract students from their work, as while they're doing homework, their cell phone would keep alerting them about their Facebook profiles, Twitter, etc.

What do you think?

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes. Plain and simple.

2. Max Dalton profile image80
    Max Daltonposted 4 years ago

Hi Cardia,

This is a good topic. Yes, I think they're a distraction, but I don't know how you would go about quantifying that. I'm sure there are papers in scholarly journals addressing this on some level. At the same time, lots of things can serve as a distraction for students during a class, such as passing notes and computers. I'm not an English teacher by any stretch, but I think a teacher may think the title is a bit broad and needs to be narrowed. You may want to consider doing something more along the lines of How Much of a Distraction are Cell Phones to Students and examine the way cell phones can be a distraction and then show how that stacks up against other potential distractions for students.

3. ThunderKeys profile image83
    ThunderKeysposted 4 years ago

I think cell phones (protable microwave communication devices) and other forms of non-ionizing radiation distract students by stimulating their brains and negatively impacting their health - lol -but true!

Mental and Physical Illness are distracting aren't they?

4. 61
    moradmposted 4 years ago

Yes, they can.
    I am a university student myself, and today's smartphones are really a big distraction. For example, just 10 minutes ago I was at a lecture, and I kept looking at soccer scores through the 3G network of my smartphone. While I was doing so, I missed a key point my professor mentioned, and thus, I spent the rest of the lecture not understanding anything of what the professor was explaining. A simple 2 minute soccer score check through a smartphone which is considered a phone, resulted in my missing a key point in my course.
    And that's just me, and that's just one example.... imagine the possibilities. smile

5. whoisbid profile image78
    whoisbidposted 4 years ago

Cell Phones can be a plus and a minus. Some restaurants in Japan ban cell phones because they are considered to be antisocial in certain settings

6. 0
    icountthetimesposted 4 years ago

They can be distracting, so yes. There is a real problem with attention spans nowadays in part brouught on by these technologies. Not as though I would do away with any advancements. It's just that we appear to be living in a time where having an impressive attention span isn't something that's valued.