jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Issue With Laptop Keyboard Inserting '*' (an asterisk)

1. parentsreview profile image87
    parentsreviewposted 5 years ago

I am recently having a terrible issue with my laptop.  It's a crappy eMachine that I inherited, so I know it's terrible, but very recently, as I type, it's begun to insert asterisks.  It litters what I am typing with the character.  The longer I type, the more it does it.  It seems to happen when I hold a key down for longer than a moment.  Like if I press the Shift key or any of the arrows, it will insert a string of asterisks for as long as I press the key down.  I ran Norton Anti-Virus and it came back with nothing.  Anybody have any ideas on this?  I'd really appreciate any help.  It's driving me NUTS!!!
    Thanks

1. brittanytodd profile image93
      brittanytoddposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would start by cleaning your keyboard.  Get Dust-off or a vacuum and clean out the dust and dirt between the keys.  Or, you could try to take out the "8" or "*" key and see if there is a problem with that particular one.  Good luck.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Type the name, model, operating system and the problem into google.

3. parentsreview profile image87
    parentsreviewposted 5 years ago

I was thinking the same thing about dust.  I bought a can today.  I wasn't sure if I could remove the keys, though.  If I can, I'll try that.  Thanks.

1. brittanytodd profile image93
      brittanytoddposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can, but make sure not to break them in the process.  The dust cleaner should work, though.  smile

working