jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Are there any hubbers using solar panels?

1. jesimpki profile image95
    jesimpkiposted 4 years ago

If there's anybody using solar panels to generate electricity, how long have you had them installed and what is your total installed capacity (in watts or kilowatts)?

1. 86
      win-winresourcesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Jesimpki-

I have 4 KW of solar photovoltaic panels installed on my roof in Colorado since 2008.  Generation has been stable and within performance parameters.

No problems.  Accounts for about 60% of my total consumption.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have been using solar panels on my calculator for many years. I am not sure of the output power but they are very effective.

2. Marc3 profile image60
    Marc3posted 4 years ago

I have a small 500 watt solar system, I use it to charge a 500 amp hour battery bank.  I use a 300 watt and a 2,500 watt true sine wave inverters to produce 120v AC in the house from the batteries.

The cost savings isn't over the top but the benefit of having a battery backup is esential in the event of a power outage, for example I wired my furnace to a standard outlet instead of being hard wired directly to the junction box wich allows me to plug my furnace into the battery bank and keep heat in the house if the power fialed.

I also use the solar system to run a few lights year round saving some in electric costs.

However others may have a solar system tied directly to the grid reversing their electric meter when the sun shines on them without the cost of maintaing a battery bank and the benefits of having a reserve power supply when the sun sets.

When considering a solar array it is important to know what what type of system is right for you.

Best of luck .. ^^