jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Social traffic is a lot of eyeballs, but not much else

1. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Here's a great story from an author who posted to Reddit and got 50,000 visitors but only 23 sales.

http://larsmartinson.com/3-things-i-lea … n-one-day/

1. Denmarkguy profile image95
      Denmarkguyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for posting this-- it's an interesting read.

"Way back" before the 3xdubya was much of anything, I used to keep shop. It seems the same truths hold true online, though: The store was a "speciality" retailer... and whereas an ad in the paper (reaching almost a million people) would bring in 100s of people, sales would be few and typically small. An ad in a highly specialized collector journal might only bring in 50 people, but 30 of them would buy something... and the average sale would be large.

In web jargon-- as it applies to writers-- I have often heard (about FB, G+, twitter, and other social media) it said "I am not looking for FOLLOWERS, I am looking for READERS."

But I suppose it depends on your approach: Are you in the "pay per click" business, or in the "selling your writing" business?

2. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I had a look at this person's web site and at the item he posted to Reddit. When he said he produced comics, I thought I would find something amusing or clever. However, all it was, was a fairly boring piece saying that he teaches English in Japan and some kids like him, presented as a comic strip. Why would anyone want to buy that?

3. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You could also check out App Sumo, started with a reddit ad, is now a multimillion dollar business.

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

All that means is that it wasn't written attractive enough to draw more sales. I guess that's something to work on.

The same applies to those who write here. If your hub isn't attractively written to obtain sales, then you would have the same results as him.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

What makes it such a great story is how it parallels the same thoughts and experiences of a lot of people who write here, showing the mismatch of perception/anticipation and action/reality.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

word of mouth/recommendations from friends - one of social media benefit

5. Sherry Hewins profile image94
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I agree prettydarkhorse. Some of the readers I have gotten through Facebook are my most loyal readers. Whether they ever click on an ad I don't know, but some of them do share with their friends. In most cases my hubs are not really selling anything.