jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Why has Apple neglected the Mac Pro?

1. LaetusViator profile image61
    LaetusViatorposted 5 years ago

With WWDC coming up soon, there are rumours that the Mac Pro might be on its way out. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, and why Apple might be dropping the Mac Pro from their hardware lineup?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I recently bought an iMac 27". It is fast as lightning and comes with the same monitor that you'd have to pay $1000 for anyway. It cost me $50 to bump the ram up to 12 gb's (not through apple) and I don't have a huge tower sitting by my side. I do however have an extra few thousand dollars in my account because I didn't by the mac pro.

2. livelonger profile image88
      livelongerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In a few hours, we'll find out, I guess, but I think that the reason the MacBook Pro might be on its way out is that a faster processor, bigger hard drive, and a DVD drive is what has traditionally differentiated it from the Air. DVD drives are on their way out, and the processor speed gap has also narrowed.

I suppose if they offer both SSD and ATA drives in the new MacBook, there won't be much of a difference at all between the lines.

1. Mark Knowles profile image62
        Mark Knowlesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think they are ditching the 17 incher for lack of sales.

1. livelonger profile image88
          livelongerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe - the thing doesn't fit into any normal-sized backpack.

2. TheMagician profile image93
    TheMagicianposted 5 years ago

I'd only imagine because they're insanely costly compared to what most people spend on towers, plus their all-in-one desktop computers are bought way more than them, if not the mini mac tower things (forgot what they're called, the little box looking towers).

I always wanted a Mac Pro... until I realized I'm not trying to program or handle a program that's designed to blow up the world... I just need something that can handle some heavy video editing and photoshop lol

3. Mark Knowles profile image62
    Mark Knowlesposted 5 years ago

I just built myself a kick ass MacBook Pro SSD, 16 Gig Ram for less than $3k

http://mark-knowles.hubpages.com/video/ … -than-3000

Gawd this thing is fast. big_smile

4. LaetusViator profile image61
    LaetusViatorposted 5 years ago

Well, looks like they updated the Mac Pro line, and wow... how disappointing. Really not impressed with the upgrade, considering how long it has been since the last improvement. Looks like they didn't even change USB to 3.0, even though the MacBook Pros have it now.

BTW: Just to clarify, I notice a lot of posts about the MacBook Pro line - I'm not talking about the laptops, I'm talking about the Mac Pro desktops.

working