jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

The future of television technology? Has it peaked?

1. CrawfsPlace profile image61
    CrawfsPlaceposted 4 years ago

With internet connectivity, ultra HD, 3D, slim form factor, multiple inputs and massive price reductions - has television technology reached its zenith?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

holographic TV is already being looked into.

2. CrawfsPlace profile image61
    CrawfsPlaceposted 4 years ago

Yes but even if successful, it would be like 3D - a solution the manufacturers developed for a problem that doesn't exist. 3D in cinemas and books has been around for decades and has yet to get any credibility with the masses above novelty level.

I'm a total geek and a certified early adopter of technology. I've lived my life happy to pay a premium to be one of the first to use and benefit from technological developments. In late 2005 I bought a 50 inch HD Pioneer Plasma TV for the staggering (today) price of AUD$7,000  The extent to which prices have dropped since then is incredible yet I still have the Pioneer - albeit with some peripheral devices like Tivo, Boxee Box and Apple TV and I have no inclination whatsoever to head out and upgrade to a new TV.

Consumers didn't demand 3D TV and so far haven't demanded holographic or telepathic or sociopathic... (sorry, got carried away ) so it seems to me that it's just the manufacturers trying to generate some demand.

I obviously can't speak for people from third world or developing countries but where I live, almost everyone has already ditched their CRT TVs and computer monitors for plasma/LCD/LED devices.  To be fair, this was helped in Australia's case by a Government decision to phase out analog TV in favour of Digital. Provided consumers buy a reasonable "name" brand then they can expect relatively long life out of their new TV. No tubes to blow in these new puppies!

Therein lies the dilemma for manufactures and retailers. All efforts to generate or even sustain demand for products which not only have decreasing sales volumes, longer mean time between failure (MTBF), and profit margins which have been trimmed to the bone have so far proved ineffective and the future doesn't seem to hold a great deal of promise either.

3. Mittalmailbox profile image74
    Mittalmailboxposted 4 years ago

I think TV industry will be replace by internet enabled device like Google TV. You can watch any show any time. I think Laptops, Mobile Phones and Tablets will pretty much replace TV.

1. CrawfsPlace profile image61
      CrawfsPlaceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Mittalmailbox,

Yes, I think you are right as far as content goes although the industry won't go down without a fight. Expect to see some interesting media takeovers in the coming few years.