Make Gmail My Homepage [Easy Gmail Instructions]
Want to make Gmail your homepage? This is easy, and these instructions work for all the popular browsers: Internet Explorer (IE), Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. And not a bad idea, considering how often so many of us start our day by checking our email.
Make Gmail your Homepage - Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools in the top menu, and select Internet Options at the bottom.
- In the small window that pops up, look for the Home page section at the top of the General tab.
- Erase what's currently in that box, and type in the following:
- Hit the OK button at the bottom
- Opening up a new tab or window, or restarting IE, will then bring up Gmail for you.
Make Gmail Your Home page - Firefox
- Start Firefox.
- In the menu at the top, select Tools, and then Options... at the bottom of the menu.
- Click on the General tab (looks like a light switch)
- In the drop-down next to "When Firefox starts", choose Show my home page.
- In the field next to "Home Page", type in:
- Click the OK button at the bottom.
- Open up a new tab or window, or restart your browser altogether. The first thing you should see is Gmail.
Make Gmail Your Homepage - Google Chrome
- Start up Chrome.
- In the upper-right corner, click the wrench (spanner) icon.
- Choose Options from the drop-down menu. It will open up a new tab called "Options - Basics."
- In that tab, in the first section, called On startup, make sure the first radio button, "Open the home page," is selected.
- In the next section, called Home page, choose the second radio button, "Open this page", and enter:
- In the section below that, called Toolbar, you might want to check off the box next to "Show Home button". This will show a little house icon to the left of the Web address bar at the top, which, if you click it, will then automatically take you to Gmail, too.
- Close the tab when you're done. (You don't have to hit an OK or Save button; yeah, it's a little weird)
Make Gmail your Home Page in Safari
- Start up Safari,
- In the upper-right, click the icon that looks like a gear (this is to the far-right of the Web address bar).
- From the drop-down menu that shows up, choose Preferences...
- A small window will pop up. Choose the General tab (with the light-switch icon) if it isn't already selected.
- About halfway down, find the field "Home page" and enter the following:
- Close that small window.
- When you restart Safari, your homepage will now be Gmail.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE6
Losing my data got me to look at backing up with Time Machine, and reliability concerns prompted me to look at Time Capsule alternatives. Research brought me to Western Digital's My Book Live Duo, which has a number of...
Updated for 2012! A list of 10 (mostly free) apps for your Android phone that you're not want to do without. Install these, and you won't be jealous of your iPhone-toting friends. Great stuff for keeping you productive,...
Updated for 2016: Price per square foot for 20 prefab (modular) home companies' products, including Blu Homes, Proto Homes, ideabox (Ikea), weeHouses, and many others.