Email Newsletter Software - A Guide
An introduction to email newsletter software
Are you confused by the different software options for generating a newsletter delivered via email?
You're certainly not alone - and this site is starting to try and sort out what are the free and paid options and how they compare.
Plus tips on using newsletters and email.
Below you can find:
- a checklist of things to think about when choosing email newsletter software
- a list of free webware which allows you to deliver newsletters online
- a list of paid software sites which can deliver email newsletters (note some are dedicated and others are a function within a bigger package)
- lots of tips on what to do when using email newsletters
CHOOSING EMAIL & NEWSLETTER SOFTWARE
Checklist for choosing newsletter software
A basic checklist of questions to ask
This is what I've identified as a preliminary set of questions which should be asked when considering acquiring such software
- Is it free - or does it cost you a monthly fee? Does the fee vary by the number of subcribers? How open and explicit is the software website about how much it costs?
- Does it save you money and/or increase your standing? In other words, what's the real cost (in time/effort and presentation) of an alternative which doesn't involve specialist software?
- Is it reliable? The general view seems to be that if you pay for a service then you get a better service - or at least one which is more accountable. Another view is that this really depends on how mission critical your e-mail is.
- Does it provide for people to receive it according to their preference? For example, does it have an RSS feed and can be read in a feed reader?
- Do you know what you need?Does it need to be:
- an idiot-proof solution?
- lots of time/effort/help to get your newsletter up and running - but it then needs to be simple and efficient for you to operate?
- a webmaster who does all those fancy tricks with servers and mailing databases?
- Most importantly, have you considered why you are sending a regular e-mail/e-mail newsletter?
- Does the information you communicate need to be one-way or could it be interactive (ie with comments and dialogue)?
- Must it be private - or could it be public?
- Have you considered what are the other options for what you need to say?
That's far from a long check-list - but it'll do for starters. What do you think are the other questions which you need to ask yourself?
(Extract from: Which is the best e-mail newsletter software?)
- Making a Mark: Which is the best e-mail newsletter software?
I've been discussing software for distributing regular e-mails and e-mail newsletters recently with various people. We've all been trying to work out which is the best e-mail newsletter software. So, naturally I thought I'd find out even more if I op
- Making a Mark: Selling art online - email newsletter software
Introduces this lens - and includes reviews of email newsletter software in the comments
An overview of the software
If I get a lot of comments I'll start to split out the product from its reviews to give more room for the latter.
Similarly I'm interested in hearing about sites which are providing more detailed and unbiased reviews of software - please leave a comment at the end if you know of one.
Please also note that I don't count affiliates as unbiased!
FREE newsletter software and webware
Free newsletter software is getting better and better as developers realise that the way to hook people into the priced plans is to provide an excellent service via the free service - but to provide better features and more flexibility and scope for customisation with the priced plans
But do you need all those features and customisation?
- PHPLIST - newsletter manager
Site Description:phplist is an open-source newsletter manager.phplist is free to download, install and use, and is easy to integrate with any website.phplist is downloaded more than 10 000 times per month and is listed in the top open source projects
- MAILCHIMP - The Forever Free Plan
ChimpEmail Marketing and Email List Manager,MailChimp.com - The Forever Free PlanFeatures:* Store up to 2,000 subscribers.* Send up to 12,000 emails per month.* No expiring trials.* No contracts.* No credit card required.* this is the the Mailchimp B
- GNU MAILMAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Site Description:Mailman, the GNU Mailing List ManagerMailman is free software for managing electronic mail discussion and e-newsletter lists. Mailman is integrated with the web, making it easy for users to manage their accounts and for list owners t
- FEEDBLITZ - The Email Marketing Service for Blogs, Social Media and RSS
Site Description:Email NewslettersAutomatically create newsletters from your blog; send a newsflash; or build your own content with our editor. Track activity, segment your mailings, generate RSS & web archives, report in real-time and more. All
- GOOGLE GROUPS
REVIEW (Making A Mark)Google Groups are free and can be closed with just one person posting and lots of people subscribing. It's free.Who uses it? This is used by a lot of people to send out regular e-mails about daily art and is used by Duane Keiser
- DADA MAIL - Mailing List Manager
An Easy To Use and Extendable Mailing List ManagerSite Description:Dada Mail is a completely contemporary, mature and intuitive web-based e-mail list management system, which runs on most any Unix-like hosting account that can run custom CGI scripts
- YOUR MAILING LIST PROVIDER - Email Marketing Software
Manage, send & track your email newsletter with YMLP's easy-to-use mailing list hosting application. Create a FREE account and send your email campaign within minutes.Used by Tina Mammoser (The Cycling Artist) - and looks great!
PRICED Newsletter software and webware
These are the priced options for creating email newsletters.
Priced plans generally offer more flexibility and features - but make sure you check them out against the best of the free options. Also make sure you're not buying too many features that you don't need.
In general to offer good value for money, these options will be considered by people or organisations that have a regular newsletter to a significant number of people and the need to maintain a very professional presentation for their communication online
The Constant Contact Guide to Email Marketing
Rated an average of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 26 customer reviews
This is a guide to using the Constant Contact email marketing software effectively
- BENCHMARK - Email Marketing Services
Email Marketing Services - Create and send bulk HTML email campaigns & online surveys with Benchmark. They have a variety of priced options - plus a free for life plan
- MAILCHIMP - Email Marketing and Email List Manager
Priced plans available.* monthly subscriptions recommended for those who send at least once a month. No contract and the price adjust automatically as your mailing list grows or shrinks* pay as you go solution for sending out on a less frequent basis
- GETRESPONSE - Email Marketing Software & Autoresponder
Email marketing from GetResponse. Send email newsletters, campaigns, online surveys and autoresponders. Simple, easy interface. FREE sign up.
- GRAPHIC MAIL - Email Marketing
GraphicMail is available in 13 languages with support in 25 countries. Get started with your GraphicMail account and sign up for a FREE trial!
Site Description:PatronMail is the e-mail marketing system created specifically for arts and non-profit organizations... and all types of creative businesses. PatronMail enables you to create professional e-mail campaigns, send them to your targeted
- iCONTACT - Email Marketing Services
Email Marketing Services with iContact allows your company to create, send, and track your messages with ease and efficiency. Our Email Marketing Software can help you to easily expand your marketing efforts.
- MAD MIMI Email Marketing : Create, Send, And Track HTML Email Newsletters
Mad Mimi makes it simple to send HTML email newsletters, grow your subscribers and manage your email list. Sign up for a free email marketing account today!
- CONSTANT CONTACT - Email Marketing Solutions
Site Description:Email marketing software that makes it easy to create professional HTML email campaigns with no tech skills. Sign up for a 60-Day FREE trial.With SpeakUp! Email Marketing you can:* Get started fast with customizable HTML email templa
- AWEBER - Email Marketing Software, Email Newsletters and Autoresponders
Site Description:Opt-in email marketing is easy with AWeber! Send email newsletters and autoresponders. Get top-notch email deliverability and toll-free support.REVIEW (Making A Mark)These are the features; it also offers a risk-free 30 day trial. Th
- SPARKLIST - Email Marketing Software & List Hosting Solutions
Site Description:Email Marketing Solutions - Powerful, Fast, and Easy.Sparklist provides companies world-wide with affordable hosted email marketing software. Our customers know Sparklist as an email solution that provides a simple interface, advance
- EMMA Email Marketing | Email Marketing Solutions | Email Newsletters
Site Description:Create, send and track customized and stylish email newsletters to your customer or clients. Emma Email Marketing is a simple and affordable solution that allows your business the ability to track email campaigns, send trigger emails
- ENNECT MAIL - Email Marketing Software
Award-winning Email Marketing Software empowers you to create and send campaigns, manage lists, customize templates, and display hot prospects in real time.Two options for payment:Option 1: Pay-As-You-Go - 5 For each emailOption 2: Volume BundlesUsed
Reviews of email marketing options - reviews by email marketing options
Below is a link to the reviews of the top providers of email marketing software by the website email marketing options - which appears to be reputable.
Summary and comprehensive reviews are available and these score each option against a set of criteria
- Compare Email Marketing Software | Email Marketing Services
An 'apples to apples' comparison of email marketing software and email marketing services helping you select the solution that best fits your needs.
Paperback: 136 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (April 17, 2013)
Rated an average of 4.9 out of 5 stars by 12 customer reviews
This book focuses on how to use the right type of content and the right layout to increase readership. It also looks at how the use of newsletters can increase client retention and keep your name in front of your customers
It has some very enthusiastic reviewers on Amazon!
USING EMAIL AND NEWSLETTERS FOR ART MARKETING
Legal requirements for emailers - Do you know what you MUST do? Or what you can't do?
The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003
- establishes requirements for those who send commercial email,
- spells out penalties for spammers and companies whose products are advertised in spam if they violate the law, and
- gives consumers the right to ask emailers to stop spamming them.
The law, which became effective January 1, 2004, covers email whose primary purpose is advertising or promoting a commercial product or service, including content on a Web site.
A "transactional or relationship message" - email that facilitates an agreed-upon transaction or updates a customer in an existing business relationship - may not contain false or misleading routing information, but otherwise is exempt from most provisions of the CAN-SPAM Act.
- The CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | BCP Business Center
Do you use email in your business? The CAN-SPAM Act, a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have you stop emailing them, and spells out tough penalties for viola
- FeedBlitz News - Email Contact and Social Media Marketing Automation: CAN-SPAM: Being Legal is Not E
Permission must be explicitly given to you by your subscriber for your marketing mailings to be successful and minimize complaints. Now, you can use the purchaser's email address without that permission for what are called transactional mailings (e.g
Every Nonprofit's Guide to Publishing
Creating Newsletters, Magazines & Websites People Will Read - by Cheryl Woodard
Rated an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars by 5 customer reviews
Jakob Neilsen (Neilsen group) on email newsletters
According to Neilsen:
- users spend an average of 51 seconds reading a newsletter and
- only 19% read the entire newsletter
He's researched the use and design of newsletters and provides this information
- for free, via his Alertbox (recommended by me)
- as information reports (download for a fee0
- in workshops (for a fee)
The research and experience makes this source of information about general and specific usability on the internet one which is definitely worthwhile keeping an eye on.
Jakob Neilsen is the founder of and partner in the Neilsen Norman group / useit.com
- Mobile Email Newsletters | Nielsen Norman Group Report
Mobile use strengthens email marketing's benefits by offering ubiquitous newsletter access, but it also introduces new usability limitations for template design.
- Email Newsletter Usability: 165 Design Guidelines for Content, Subscription, and RSS News Feeds
Nielsen Norman Group Report: Email Newsletter Usability:165 Design Guidelines for Newsletter Subscription, Content, Account Maintenance, and RSS News Feeds Based on Usability StudiesUsability report with Nielsen Norman Group's design and editing guid
- Incompetent Email Marketing = Lost Future Opportunities (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)
Lack of personalization made an email newsletter completely useless to the recipient, damaging long-term customer relationship efforts.Cites an example where 80% of the information was irrelevant for any given user.
- The Seattle Times: Business & Technology: Timely, focused online newsletter a valuable relations
Timely, focused online newsletter a valuable relationship builderJust two years ago, the average e-mail user was confused and frustrated when differentiating between spam and the then-emerging category of marketing newsletters.
Starting & Running a Successful Newsletter or Magazine
Now somewhat old - it's not been updated since 2006 - when the 5th edition looked at the latest trends in Web publishing (i.e. blogging!) and how to integrate online and print strategies into a unified front.
This is more about magazines than newsletters and the comments in the Amazon reviews suggest that from a business perspective there's a bit more to it. However an interesting book to buy if you're serious about building a serious newsletter which will generate a following
Barney Davey - Email marketing for artists
In Barney Davey's view "E-mail marketing is the most affordable and easy way to communicate directly with your prospects, partners, fans and collectors"
In this series of blog posts he outlines strategy, tactics, decision-making and tips for effective email marketing which converts interest into sales
- Email Marketing for Artists | A New Art Marketing Series
Email marketing is the most efficient, effective and affordable art marketing method for visual artists. A good email list is a powerful profitable asset .
- Email Marketing for Artists | Building Your List
Email marketing for artists is essential to grow a successful self-sustained art career. Artists need to develop ways they can sell direct.
More TIPS for using email lists and newsletters
Never ever forget that once you've made your choice as to the best software, the technology alone is not going to make you more successful.
They key to marketing art online is through relationships
- making relationships
- communicating effectively - to maintain and keep relationships (no more "we don't talk any more!")
- adding content of value to the people you want to build a relationship with
- Art Biz Blog: Resources for your artist mailing list
Check out this week's Art Marketing Action newsletter to find out when you should add new contacts to your mailing list and when you shouldn't. You might also be interested in these resources. Know the U.S. CAN SPAM laws before you send commercial em
- Art Biz Blog: How to Be Humble When You’ve Messed Up
Did you mess up with your mailing list? Artist Kirsty Hall wrote a humble and effective message to rebuild her list from scratch.
- Art Biz Blog: Writing copy that sells
Alyson B Stanfield recommends10 Keys to Copy That Sells! by Alexandria Brown 2001-2008 Alexandria Brown International Inc. www.AlexandriaBrown.comOnline entrepreneur Alexandria K. Brown publishes the award-winning 'Highlights on Marketing & Succe
- Oreilly - 10 Journalism Tips For Bloggers, Podcasters & Other E-Writers
Blogs, podcast & e-newsletters make it easy for anyone to be a journalist. Here are some tips on how to do it well.
- The Beginner's Guide to Starting a Newsletter | The Smart Passive Income Blog
If you're a beginner looking for detailed information about starting your own newsletter for your blog or website, you've come to the right place.
- How One Little Minute Can Increase Your Email Open Rate | The Smart Passive Income Blog
Have you ever had one of those moments when you thought to yourself, It can't be that easy...can it? Well, that's what I thought after I learned this
- Email marketing & Enewsletter systems and software reviews - Smart Insights Digital Marketing Ad
Our recommendations and reviews on email marketing broadcast software options I am often for recommendations for affordable E-mail broadcast software pack. Marketing topic(s):Email list management and ECRM. Advice by Dave Chaffey.
- How to Sell Art Online: The Secret Sauce - Gary Bolyer Fine Art
To sell art online, you must have the secret sauce. Read this article to learn how to sell art online.
The Zen of Social Media Marketing
If you want to look beyond email newsletters
Focuses on how to deal with social media such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The main benefit of this book is that in a constantly evolving social media world it provides you with a way of keeping up to date - via a contantly updated book online which is accessible to those who buy the book
Amazon review profile: 4.5 out of 5 stars (49 customer reviews)
Website webware/software with built-in newsletters
Life can be simplified if your website software is able to produce newsletters.
However the scope for designing the newsletters tends to be very limited. Other websites provide the option for you to install third party newsletter software
I'd Rather Be in the Studio
The Artist's No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion by Alyson B. Stanfield (Author)
This book is very much focused on addressing promotional activities of artists.
The revised version is available as a Kindle Edition
Ranked an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars (88 customer reviews)
- Adding a Newsletter Signup Form to Weebly | Contact Forms
Easy to install, but comprehensive guide to choosing the best option to integrate a generic newsletter signup form with Weebly.
- FineArtStudioOnline - Easy Artist Websites with Marketing Help
Newsletters available to Professional and Master level subscriptions
- SiteKreator.com - Professional web site creation solution. - Compare SiteKreator Features
SiteKreator provides a one-stop solution for creating captivating Web sites without any technical or artistic expertise necessary. Business and Professional packages provide support for newsletters and mailing lists
More by this Author
Do you want to learn how to draw? Find out about the BEST BOOKS for: beginners and improvers; drawing media and techniques; how to draw different subjects
Improve the composition and design of your drawings and paintings. Find out which are the best art books about composition and design for art students, leisure painters, artists and art teachers.
Answers to common artists' questions e.g. What's the best way for an artist to sign a painting? Should you date as well as sign a painting? How should you sign a fine art print?