Top 10 Best Cities/ Places to Visit in Florida
Summer is upon us and that means that many of us are thinking about doing our annual traveling. One of the most popular states in the United States to visit during the summer months is Florida. From DisneyWorld to The Keys, Florida offers up a variety of different things for visitors to enjoy. But where exactly should you go on a Florida summer vacation?
Here’s a look at the Top 10 Cities to Visit In Florida:
1. Orlando. Orlando is probably the most popular city in Florida for summer visitors. That’s because there are so many great family attractions to check out in Orlando. This is where people go to visit Disney World, of course. Orlando is also home to Universal Studios, Epcot Center and Sea World. People visiting Orlando may also check out Gatorland, the Wet n’ Wild Water Park, the Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum and the Central Florida Zoo. Plus there are nearby beaches and golf resorts to enjoy here.
2. Jacksonville. Orlando may be the most popular tourist destination in Florida but Jacksonville is the biggest city in the state in terms of population. That means that this East Coast city also has a ton of things to offer to visitors interested in checking out tourist attractions. The Riverwalk here is a popular place to hang out. Visitors might also check out museums, landmarks and beaches. People who want to go to an urban area in Florida that isn’t entirely tourist-oriented will find that Jacksonville is a good choice.
3. Miami. Second in population is this city which is also one of the most popular cities to visit in Florida. How can you not want to go to Miami? The beaches are beautiful, the nightlife is happening and there is a rich cultural world here to explore. If you like urban vacations that including high fashion shopping and spending time at day spas then you’re probably going to like Miami more than you like some of the other cities in Florida.
4. Key West. The Florida Keys are a must-see for visitors who are interested in the beautiful beaches of Southern Florida. There are many different islands here to choose from (about 1700 of them, actually, although not all of them are inhabited). One of the most popular options for visitors is Key West and there’s a reason for that; there’s a lot to do and the beaches here are stunning. There is a surprising amount of art to see here including artist’s studios and theatres. Be sure to check out Old Town Key West while you’re there.
5. Key Largo. If you don’t want to head all the way down to Key West (which is at the lower end of the Keys) then a good alternative to check out is Key Largo. This is a northern island that is easy to reach by car because of bridges connecting it to the mainland. It’s located close to the Everglades and is a great destination for people who like adventurous treks into nature. Kayaking and eco-tours are both popular options for travelers here.
6. Port Saint Lucie. If you’re looking for something a bit quieter and more relaxing then this East Coast city might be the right choice for you. It’s a mid-sized Florida city where people go to enjoy golfing, boat rides and long walks on the beach. There are water activities and more active adventures for those who want that but it’s ideal for the individual who thinks of a Florida vacation as a way to just be lazy on the beach.
7. Cape Coral. If you really want to get your fill of water during your Florida vacation then Cape Coral is a great choice. This is a city known for the fact that there are over 400 canals here. There are also lakes, a “mega-river” and even a waterpark. If you want to spend your entire vacation doing boating and tubing and fishing then Cape Coral is a number one Florida destination.
8. Port St. Joe. If you want to spend time in the Panhandle of Florida (that little part at the Northwest corner of the state) then Port St. Joe is a really good choice. That’s because it’s the city closest to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park which is a really cool place to go camping. There are beaches, water sports, hiking and even snorkeling to enjoy here.
9. Weeki Wachee. Want to do something a little bit different with your time in Florida? Check out this city which is the smallest city in the state. It’s only one square mile in size and only about a dozen people live here. They’ve worked hard to make it a tourist attraction anyway, though, and there’s a place here called Weeki Wachee Springs where you can see underwater performances by mermaids. This may not be the place that you want to spend your entire Florida vacation but it’s worth a stop if you’re driving through the Western side of the state at all.
10. Vero Beach. If you’re interested in small-town life in Florida but you’re not necessarily seeking to go somewhere as small as Weeki Wachee then you might want to look into staying in Vero Beach. This is a small city with a population below 20000 but it’s got a lot of interesting things to see. The main attraction, of course, is the beaches which are beautiful here. However, there are actually quite a few historic landmarks to see here as well including historic hotels, arcades and theatres. If you like wandering around amidst lesser-known attractions and you enjoy the beach then this is a good choice for you.
- Top Ten Things to do in Key West, Florida
Your vacation trip to florida is not complete without a visit to Keywest, the southern most point of the United States. Top ten things to do in Key West Florida with pictures and links.
- Top 10 Things to do in Miami Florida
Miami has a lot to offer to tourists or locals. A trip to Florida will not be complete without visiting Miami's variety of activities geared towards enjoyment. Here's my top 10 exciting things to do while you are in Miami.
- Where to Swim with Dolphins in Florida
There are quite a few different opportunities to swim with dolphins in Florida. Here's a rundown of some of the most popular dolphin swim programs located in Orlando and the Florida Keys, as well as St. Augustine.
- 11 Fun Things To Do In Daytona Beach, Florida
11 Fun Things To Do In Daytona Beach, Florida Daytona Beach, Florida is a famous vacation destination people enjoy coming back to time and time again. Thousands of people visit every year for business and...
More by this Author
10 Cities to Visit in Alabama Alabama is not the most popular state to land on a traveler’s itinerary. It’s a fairly small state in comparison to other U.S. States. It doesn’t have a lot of the...
Golden Gate Park is one of the most popular attractions in San Francisco. If you get a chance to visit the city, you should definitely make it a point to check out this wonderful spot of nature right in the heart...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.