10 Free Entertainment Outlets - View Video
Who doesn't enjoy a good time, especially when that good time is completely free? Raise your hand - I do, I do. Finding free entertainment is not being cheap, it's being wise with your time and with your money. Free entertainment can be fun and educational. This is what I do each year. I make a list of Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall happenings where I live so when that time comes I know where I want to go beforehand. Sit down with your family and make a list of entertainment outlets all of you enjoy. Here are some ideas if you have not thought about them already.
- Free concerts - there are bands and solo artists trying to make a name for themselves and offer free concerts in local parks, clubs and eateries. You may also have the opportunity to purchase a copy of their CDs, if they offer. These free concerts just don't take place on weekends and evenings. Some bands and solo artists play and sing during lunch hour in parks and eateries.
- Since I am an author I enjoy going to free readings. These readings occur at libraries, community centers, parks, botanical gardens, eateries, and other out of the way places. Readings are not just done by adults, children also read as well. If you want to encourage your child to read you can sign them up to do a reading, if they would like to. Just look up free readings in your area.
- Movie rentals at the library - now I know they may not be the latest, but you can see some really great movies. College students can enjoy free movies at their Student Center or Baptist Student Union - I did.
- I love this one - movies out in the park on a HUGE screen. It's called "Screen on the Green" in some cities. You can spread your blanket and bring a basket of eats and enjoy the movie. I also enjoy going to "Flicks on Fifth" where streets are blocked off on certain nights and movie goers bring their lawn chairs and eats and watch a movie on a HUGE screen in the middle of the street. You may not want to sit on the concrete, so don't bring a blanket for this one just your lawn chairs.
- Go to or participate in Open Mic Night at your local community center or other venue. This is fun and can be hilarious. Comedians are given the opportunity to hone their craft, Poets get to read their poems, and Storytellers open the imagination of the audience.
- Free nights at a museum - yes, museums are open at night. There are free educational sessions offered in which you'll learn about various exhibits. Some museums have Observatories for Star gazing - children will love this.
- I always enjoy a good lecture. Now you may either go to a venue or stay at home - visit www.academicearth.com for the homebody in you.
- Game Night is so much fun. Again, at your local community center, your child's school or other venue. If you live in a subdivision and there is a clubhouse, start a game night for the children in the neighborhood. Parents can bring refreshments for the kids as they laugh and play. Having the children close to home is also comforting for parents.
- City Walking Tours is also a nice outing. A lot of cities offer tours of historic sites and historic neighborhoods. Get to know the interesting places in your city and get in some great exercise - walking.
- Volunteer as an Usher at your local playhouse or theater. What a great way to see some wonderful plays, concerts, ballets, musicals and operas.
These 10 free entertainment outlets not only offer fun and education they provide an opportunity for networking, meeting people, and making new friends. Enjoy!
More by this Author
Family annual passes. What annual passes are tax deductible? What annual passes are inexpensive?
Why are interstate signs different colors? What are those small lights on the white lines? Learn fun facts about interstate signs.
- 16African-Americans with Green, Grey, Hazel or Blue Eyes, Naturally Blonde or Red (Ginger) Hair, and Freckles
Have you ever seen an African-American with blue eyes? They do exist. How about an African-American with red hair and freckles? Come look at some blonde hair dark-skinned individuals.