A Guide to Madeira: 101 Things to Do and See on The Island of Madeira, Portugal: The Perfect Vacation for 2016
A Little Piece of Heaven
The beauty on this volcanic rock will capture and embrace the heart of the true nature lover. Madeira is a haven of majestic scenery and un-spoilt landscape.
Surrounded by the vast Atlantic ocean, the Island measures a meager 57km x 22km. A 90 minute flight from Lisbon; Madeira is actually closer to Africa than Portugal.
Madeira famously known as: 'The Jewel In The Atlantic' mainly due to her magnificent floral culture and pretty terrain will delight gardeners with her stunning aray of wild flowers.
Imagine the delight of Zarco discovering the wonders of this beautiful Island for the very first time in 1420. My own delight arriving in Madeira was like an arrow to the heart straight from Cupids bow more than a decade ago. The floating garden; Madeira, has something for everyone to do and see. And to prove it, is my list below. Dream a little; live a little; visit Madeira.
What a List!
Things to do in Madeira
- AGUARDENTE DE CANA
- A-FRAMED HOUSES
- ATLANTIC FESTIVAL
- CABO GIRAO
- CABLE CAR
- CAMRA DE LOBOS
- FLOWER FESTIVAL
- FLOWER ARRANGING
- GO- KARTING
- LEVADA WALKING
- MADEIRA WINE
- NEW YEAR
- PORTO SANTO
- REAL ESTATE
- SUGAR CANE
- THEME PARK
The delightful Isle of Madeira. A beautiful Portuguese Island.
Discover The Beauty of Madeira
One of the main reason people visit Madeira
- Fabulous pictures of flowers in Madeira from mountai...
The above picture is from the amazing mountains on the west side of the island, the flowers are wild and grow furiously in abundance dotting the landscape with a ray of colour. The shades of green are just...
What to do in Madeira
A to Z
Aqua Madeira is at your beckoning service. Visit the harbor of Funchal and relish in the activities that await you.
- Aqua park it for a fun day
- Bring a bucket for your limpets
- Catch a tuna out at sea
- Dive deep in the ocean
- Enjoy a day shore fishing
- Fish with a spear
- Go snorkeling
- Have a day at the beach
- Imagine surfing
- Jet ski along the coastline
- Kick the pool habit, swim in the deep
- Look for dolphins
- Migrating wales cross your path
- Navigate the seas
- Organize a ferry to the sister isle
- Pools of rock lava, good for a dip
- Quit the swimming, go wind surfing
- Ride the waves, water ski
- Spot the cruise ships
- Take a trip to the Desertas
- Under the sea in Porto Moniz
- View the isle from the ocean
Boating joys on the Atlantic include daily excursions; embark from the marina and have a whale of a time.
- Banana boating at your peril
- Catamaran along the coast
- Delight in bottom boating
- Eager to show some skill, kayaking for you
- Failing the above, stick to sailing
- Grab a lift on a speed boat
Culinary skills on Madeira are next to none; enjoy fabulous local dishes to your hearts content.
- Chew on a little Espetada
- Devour a Picada
- Enjoy the Bolo de Caco
- Fish of the day, the Scabbard of course
- Goat stew is a local favorite
- Have a taste of crispy Squid
- Ideally have a roll with Porco com Alho
- Jump for joy when you slurp the Ganja
- Kill for Cod, salted it is
- Love the Bolo de Mel
- Maize deep fried is on the menu
- Nibble on a little Octopus
Drinks on Madeira won't fail to impress your taste buds or encourage your dancing feet.
- Drink a Caipirinha
- Enjoy a passion fruit juice
- Fed up of the norm try a Nikita
- Gargle some vinho verde
- Have a Pe de Cabra
- Ignore them all, another Poncha please
- Joy to the world Madeira wine for me
- Keeling over, a little Portuguese vino
- Lemon tea straight, cheers
- Mull over a local beer
Energize yourself and walk the cobbled streets of Funchal: The beautiful city of Madeira.
- Explore the old town
- Forward it is, on the open top bus
- Get to grips with the historic buildings
- Haggle for some fruit and veg at the farmers market
- Idol through the Santa Catharina park
- Jolly along the promenade to Praia Formosa
- Keep the spring in your step down at the marina
- Light foot it on the cobbled streets
- Moise along to the Municipal Gardens
- Nose through the ole embroidery shops
- Opt for a swim with dolphins
Put yourself out, have a walk about
- Favorite places; take in some sightseeing and visit the Island villages and mountain terrain.
- Fantastic views from Eira do Serrado
- Great heights from Cabo Girao
- Have a day out to the west
- Improve your sights on the east
- Jeep it down to Nuns Valley
- Knock yourself out, go rock climbing
- Levada trails to stroll along
- Mountain walks to make your legs strong
- Nobody goes to the highest peek without a guide
- Obvious choice for hikers, walk the peninsula
- Para-glide off a mountain top
- Questions answered at the Madeira history centre
Great entertainment will keep you busy all night long.
- Go dancing, have a little fun
- Hit the casino and play your cards right
- Inspired, see a little theatre
- Jingle along and see a show
- Keep in tune with a string quartet
- Listen to the music at the cabaret
- Meet the local fado singers
- Night out the typical Madeira way
Heaps of more excitement to come.
- Helicopter around the island
- Indulge in a little bird watching
- Jeep it to the caves
- Kneel in a beautiful Cathedral
- Learn some Portuguese
- Meet Columbus the giant turtle
- Nip to the Islands
- Ole; see a football game
- Play a little golf
- Quick game of tennis
- Run the city marathon
- Sip a selection of tea at Reid's
- Taste the flavour of the Tropical gardens
- Unleash yourself jump in a cable car
- Visit the botanical gardens
- Wear yourself out stroll up to Monte
- Xtra delight at the Orchid Gardens
- Yield to the local market stalls
- Zap some photos for your holiday album
What kind of holiday do you like?See results without voting
© 2009 Gabriel Wilson
More by this Author
Beautiful pictures of Ponta De Sao Lourenço, Madeira. A delightful personal encounter from a non hiker experiencing the thrill of this wonderful levada walk.
Ten reasons why you should move to the sun. Living in Madeira; a little info to get you thinking about making that move. It's now or never!
Zero calorie foods take more energy to absorb into the system than the energy in the food itself. In other words zero calorie foods are foods you can eat without counting calories or gaining weight