20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Taiwan
1. The country of Taiwan national sport is Baseball. Taiwan won the 1995 little league world championship in the US. It is the first time they have one a World Series in any sport.
2. Taiwan is world famous for its one production of Hollywood type movies. It is famous for creating "City of Sadness"(1989). In 2001, Ang Lees "Crouching, Tiger, Hidden Dragon" Are some of its best known titles.
3. Taiwan has the first woman ever to win a world Nobel Peace Prize presented too Lu Hsiu-lein
4. Taiwan held the world Miss Universe pageant and that year Miss Taiwan never made it past the semifinals for her country.
5. The national Government of Taiwan is a democratic go0vernment unlike most countries in Southeast Asia which have a socialist view on their government which makes Tawian, rare in the region.
6. Taiwan participates in the Olympics every year but its best year was 1977 when it sent 22 athletes to compete and came back with 22 gold medals for a variety of sports.
7. The land mass of Taiwanese islands are only about the size of Massachusetts in the U.S
8. Taiwan native Lee Yuan-tseh born November 19, 1935 One the first ever chemistry Nobel Prize for Taiwan in 1976
9. The cold war took a great turn for Taiwan because of its strategic location to china and japan and became an economic powerhouse in the region.
10. Taiwan has some of the most elaborate and authentic historical museums in all of Asia which consist of over 35,000 artifacts from countries around the world. Many tourist flock here for the Regular on exhibit displays of jade, paintings, sculptures of many dynasties.
11. The most famous museum in Taiwan is The National Museum of World Prehistory
12. One of the most beautiful women ever to compete in Miss Universe by world consensus was from Taiwan but only came runner up in 1965 pageant
13. Taiwan held another world peace prize for Master Chen Yen is known by many as "The Mother 9. Taiwan is the only country in Asia to compete in the world Olympics 9 consecutive times since its inauguration.
14. The island was given the name "Formosa" (meaning "beautiful") by the Portuguese in the 16th century when they first laid eyes on it.
15. Taiwan has the highest mountain in all of southeast Asia the Jade mountain is nearly 13000ft tall.
16. 84% of the people are Taiwanese, with only 14% being mainland Chinese. Most of the people of Taiwan can trace their ancestry to China
17. The words of the ROC national anthem were first delivered as an exhortation at the opening ceremony of the Whampoa Military Academy on June 16, 1924, by Sun Yat-sen.
18. Only about 1.8% of the population is native Taiwanese. There are 14 recognized tribes (the Ami, Atayal, Bunun, Kavalan, Paiwan, Puyuma, Rukai, Saisiyat, Tao, Thao, Tsou, Truku, Sakizaya and Seediq). Each tribe has its own language.
19. Climate: tropical; marine; rainy season during the southwest monsoon (June to August); cloudiness is persistent and extensive all year
20. Terrain: eastern two thirds, mostly rugged mountains; flat to gently rolling plains in west
- Welcome | ExpatCrossing.com
Welcome to ExpatCrossing. com!This is newest website dedicated to the Expatriate Community. If you are moveing international, transitioning oversea...for additional information on this wonderful country please visit expatcrossing.com
More by this Author
Everything you ever needed to know About Yemen
Taiwan is a country located in the southeast portion of the Asian continent in the western pacific. This tiny country has bountiful woman that are ready to fall in love. Taiwanese woman are known for their beauty high...
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala