20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Egypt
1. The word pyramid comes from the Greek word "pyramis” which means wheat cake. The pyramids of Egypt can be seen clearly from the moon and it represents man’s technological achievement through the year. They will continue to stand as for thousands of years.
2. Makeup was used in Egypt to protect against the harsh sun over 5000 years ago
3. The great pyramid is one of the seven wonders of the ancient world the only one to survive hat can still be seen today
4. The pyramid of Cheops has over 2.7 million stones. Each stone can weigh as much as 10 tons.
5. Found in Egypt is the earliest known map of the human circulatory system. Egyptians were very advanced for the age that they ruled in.
6. Egypt pharaoh Pepi II was so afraid of flies he kept naked slaves near him smothered in honey to prevent having them land on him
7. Slaves of owners could not be traded or sold after death so a lot of the time were murdered and put to rest with their owners to accompany them in the afterlife
8. Egyptians invented many forms of musical instruments including the flute, trumpet, and oboe
9. Egyptians’ kept time by using advances fractions and dividing the day between sunset and sunrise to 1/12th of the day.
10. The age of the sphinx is always a great point of debate among archeologist new evidence suggest it may well be about 10000 years old which would make human civilization much older than previously thought
11. The last hieroglyphic inscription was made in 394 A.D. and the last demotic inscription in 452 A.D. Both were found at the temple of Isis in Philae
12. Most of the Egyptian population still lives in the Nile river valley today/ The Nile River valley is one of the only locations to provide enough water and farm land to sustain the population of Egypt.
13. The oldest board game known to man was invented in Egypt around 200 B.C called Senet
14. Egyptians were the first to use a calendar consisting of 364 days.
15. The capitol of Egypt is Cairo it still stands as one of man’s oldest settlements and archeologist have uncovered many older settlements that can be seen today.
16. To reduce the instance of lice and other ticks the Egyptians would shave most of the hair off their bodies. They would also apply honey and take a bath in the Nile to help prevent the razor burn afterwards
17. Recently found inscribed on a tablet is a cure for concrete which has been duplicated and found to be 10x stronger then today's’ concrete mixture
18. Egyptians’ used the natural sand around them to make glass objects
19. Egyptian architect, Imotep is one of the earliest scientists to have lived in Egypt around 5000 year ago. He is credited
20. The first international peace treaty was between Egypt and the Hittite empire. It was a monumental treaty that ended years of war between the two empires.
More by this Author
Uruguay is a unque and interesting country in south america. There is tons of history, culture, and traditions to be learned. So, come and see some of the fun and interesting facts on Uruguay
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala