20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Hawaii
1. The state of Hawaii is actually made up of 8 smaller islands. Niihau, Kauai, Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe and the Big Island of Hawaii.
2. Hawaii does not get much interaction from the main land populace. It is considered the most isolated population center on the face of the earth. 2300 miles from California, 3800 miles from Japan and 500 miles from China.
3. Hawaii is the only state in union, with the correct climate to grow coffee.
4. Hawaii is also a large producer of the worlds pineapples.
5. Before the onset, of English invaders to the islands. The natives of Hawaii had a very advanced written language and there alphabet only consisted of 12 letters.
6. From the eastern border to the western border Hawaii is the largest state from each side.
7. The Hawaiian Islands are actually on top of a huge underwater mountain chain. It is considered the largest in the world.
8. The islands were formed by underwater volcanoes that erupted in thousands of years in the past.
9. The first Asian to ever be voted into a senate office was from the state of Hawaii. She was voted in 1959.
10. Hawaii was the 50th state admitted to the union under a request by the people. It officially became a state on August 20th, 1959.
11. Hawaii is the only state to have its only time zone. Hawaiian standard time. There is no daylight savings time. The clock runs 2 hours behind Pacific Standard Time and 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
12. There are four main counties in Hawaii. Each city has a mayor and legislator for the counties which reports to the state government in Honolulu.
13. All Minerals found around the waters of Hawaii belong rightly to the state of Hawaii. Most minerals come from the volcanoes that have spewed in the past. Very little of the minerals is able to be produced.
14. Hawaii only has 5 rivers that are able to be navigated. These rivers flow down from the top of the volcanoes during the raining season.
15. Hawaii does not have four seasons like the rest of the US it has a combination of only two the wet and dry seasons.
16. Racial identification in Hawaii is almost unheard of since there is such a large mixture of each race it is hard to determine what races make up the majority of the people in Hawaii.
17. Privately owned islands in and around Hawaii are not unheard of. Many of them produce livestock for a living and are only accessible by boat or helicopter. One of the islands is the island of Kauai which only has a population of 230 people and only 69 square miles.
18. Honolulu is the largest city in the world. However, long the borders are of Honolulu it is big. Any island not named belonging to a county resides in the city of Honolulu. This includes all the Hawaiian Islands not named all the way to midway.
19. Hawaii is known for its beautiful beaches, sparkling water, and amazing surfing. More than 100 beaches ring this island paradise.
20. Hawaii is big into alternative energy. It has the largest wind generator on the island of Oahu. The windmills blades stretch to approximately 400 feet across.
More by this Author
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala
Belize is one of the greatest countries in the world offering wonderful traditionsl, Exotic history and unique culture. Here, are some of the fun and interesting facts about Belize