20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Kansas
1. There are some unusual laws on the books in Kansas. One of them is that it is illegal to have ice-cream severed on top of your cherry pie.
2. Kansas is the first state that allowed a woman in office as mayor. Susan Madora Salter, was elected into the mayor’s position in 1884 I the city of Argonia
3. The first dial telephone that was invented was used in Kansas City, Kansas in 1889. There was some outrage with the local operators who thought they would be out of a job because of it.
4. The revolution of the helicopter was experienced for the first time Charles Wilson of Goodland, Kansas
5. One of the most famous movies of all time was “Gone with the Wind” The movie has won international acclaim. What is less known about the movie is that one of the main starts. Kansan Hattie McDaniel was the first black woman in history to win an Academy Award for her role in this movie.
6. One of the most famous woman pilots in American history was from Atchison, Kansas. Amelia Earhart was the first woman pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic. She disappeared along with her copilot on a round the world journey
7. Kansas is the only state in the country that contains that geographical center to the United States. The geographical center is marked by a large marble monument in the center of Smith County.
8. One of the greatest presidents the country has ever known was from Abilene, Kansas, Dwight D. Eisenhower.
9. Kansas back in the old west was a Frontier town that at times was fairly dangerous. Thanks to the lawmen who sacrificed their time and lives in keeping the peace. People like Wyatt Earp. Wild bill Hickok and Pete Matheson where there to keep the peace
10. The Largest public Swimming pool is located in Garden City. The pool holds up to 5 million gallons of water and is as large as 5 Olympic size swimming pools
11. Clara Barton is a famous woman on the American frontier. She was born in Kansas and won notoriety by going above and beyond in the call of duty as a civil war nurse.
12. Kansas has an obsession with the Walnut. It has named 27 of its 350 known creeks Walnut creek
13. If you are ever in the city of Lawrence, Kansas you should stop and visit the fire station 4. It is home to the only known location of the Underground Railroad in Kansas.
14. Kansas is home to the largest reserves of natural gas in the country. Sharing the reserves with Oklahoma and Texas in some areas. The Hugton Gas field is larger than the state of Rhode Island.
15. Cave hunters flock to Kansas. It is unusual for a prairie state to even have caves. However, Kansas can boast that it has over 600 caves and more being found by explorers ever year.
16. Kansas is home to the largest population of prairie chickens. Prairie chicken is one of the wild goose that you will find in the entire continental US.
17. Kansas is one of the only a few states that produce wheat. In the early 1990s, it is estimated that Kansas by itself was able to harvest more than 33 billion loaves of bread. Which means if we were to hand that bread out everyone in the world would receive more than 10 loaves a piece.
18. One of the cheapest churches ever built was the 2 cent church or the Holy Cross Shrine. Located in Pfeifer, Kansas it got its nickname because the donations were each 2 cents that were donated by each parishioner that sold it.
19. Kansas is known as the baking capital of the world. More baked goods are produced here than any other state. The capitol of the baking state is Manhattan, Kansas
20. Nothing is more important in Kansas than its wheat farmer. In most cities and towns, you will find a statute dedicated to the Kansas wheat farmer. The largest of these statues is in downtown Manhattan, Kansas the Johnny Kaw statue stands over 30 feet tall
More by this Author
Traveling in Honduras you are probably going to want to experience some of the traditional, historic, and tasteful food that is available. Let's take a look at some of the most authentic Honduran foods that you should...
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala