20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Mississippi
1. Mississippi Was the first place in history that they were able to make a human lung transplant successful. The attempt took place at the University of Mississippi Medical center on January 23, 1964.
2. Borden’s was the first official company to develop and use canned milk in Liberty, Mississippi.
3. The true story of how Theodore Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear cub. It was in Sharkey county Mississippi that the event took place.
4. Mississippi holds the world record for the largest shrimp ever caught. It is still on display at the Old Spanish Museum in Pascagoula.
5. A very unusual place for cactus. However, the world’s largest cactus plantation in the country is located in southern Mississippi
6. The king of rock and roll was from the great state of Mississippi, born in tupelo. Elvis Presley then came to call Memphis Tennessee home.
7. H.T Merrill was from Luka performed the world’s first trip to criss crossed the Atlantic in the late 1920’s
8. It use to be, that people would only buy single shoes when they needed a new one These shoes were rarely ever bought in pairs because of the cost. Phil Gilbert was the first person in the country to start selling shoes in pairs. He was able to make a lower cost shoe that still provided value and comfort.
9. The first woman to hold the position as a postal carrier was Mrs. Marie Thomas. She delivered mail on a rural route south of Vicksburg, Mississippi. She started the route in 1914.
10. Jefferson College was the first all boys prep school to be established in the state of Mississippi.
11. William grant was the first African America o compose the afro-American symphony he was from Mississippi
12. Mississippi is also home to the first woman judge. Burnita Shelton Mathews was appointed as a federal judge and served in Washington D.C. for over 15 years.
13. The first synthetics were created in the state of Mississippi. A Gentleman in the city of Hazel worth by the name of Emmett f. Fitzgerald developed the first fibers of rayon.
14. The first nuclear submarine that was every built in the south was built in Mississippi
15. Mississippi was the first state to erect a statue in honor of the confederate Union They erected the statue in1871.
16. Mississippi has some unusual animals, and some are even endangered like the Mississippi sand hill Crane. It stands 44 inches tall and has 8 ft of wingspan.
17. The flexible flyer snow sled was manufactured in the state of Mississippi. When first developed the testers had to travel north to test the sleds capabilities. However, they wanted to keep manufacturing local in the state of Mississippi
18. The largest producer of bibles is located in the state of Mississippi. Norris Bookbinding Company in Greenwood
19. Cottonwood is very popular in the state of Mississippi. The tree plantation in the state is home to the largest cottonwood plantation. It is located in Issaquena county Mississippi.
20. Walter Payton was the first football player to be featured on a wheaties box. He was from Mississippi
More by this Author
Belize is one of the greatest countries in the world offering wonderful traditionsl, Exotic history and unique culture. Here, are some of the fun and interesting facts about Belize
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...