20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Missouri
1. The state of Missouri is known as the “show me state.” The expression came from congressmen Willard Duncan Van diver during an emotional speech he made in 1899.
2. The first ever parachute jump from a moving plane was completed in the state of Missouri by captain berry in early 1912.
3. In March 1925, the most historical tornado on record swept through the small city of Annapolis. It was recorded to be over 1000 feet wide. It left a path of destruction in its wake that left more than 1000 people dead.
4. Ice tea was invented at the world’s fair in Missouri in the year 1904 by Richard Blechyden
5. The world’s fair in Missouri is popular because it was also where the first ice cream cone was invented in 1907
6. Missouri is known in the US as a neighborly state because it is bordered by up to 8 states similar to that of Tennessee.
7. St Louis has been nicknamed the “gateway to the west”
8. The state bird is the native Bluebird which was designated as the state bird in the legislator in 1927
9. The state insect was designated by the legislative assemble in 1985 as the honey bee.
10. Kansas City has more miles of freeway available in the city than any other city in America. Based on the equivalent of residents per miles of roadway available.
11. The state of Missouri officially declared the state rock as Mozarkite and was adopted by the state legislator in early 1967
12. The capitol building in Jefferson City has had bad luck. The first capitol building burned in 1837. The second capitol building was finished. Several years later it was struck by lighting and burned down in 1911. Before being rebuilt again.
13. Kansas city has more miles of freeway than any other city
14. Saint Louis University is the oldest university in Missouri making it the oldest university west of the Mississippi.
15. The inventor of Aunt Jemima pancake flour was invented in St. Joseph Missouri.
16. The tallest man in the world was reportedly from St Louis he was 8 feet 11 inches tall.
17. The most powerful earthquake ever to strike the United States was centered in the New Madrid fault line in Missouri. The quake could be felt up to 1000 miles away from the epicenter.
18. Vlentine Taply advised that if, Abraham Lincoln was elected president, he would never shave his beard again. It grew to a length of 12 feet before his death in 1910.
19. Railroads cam to Missouri’s in 1910. Making it the first location to establish a western gateway to San Francisco.
20. Missouri was active in minerals and many different types of iron ore, zinc, copper, and aluminum are dug from its soil every year.
More by this Author
El Salvador is rich in Historical, Cultural, and traditions that have helped shape not only El Salvador but the World.
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala
No comments yet.