20 Fun & Interesting Facts about North Dakota
1. One of the unique things about North Dakota is that it has a town named rugby which is exactly in the center of the geographical center of all of North America. The exact location has a marble monument marking the location.
2. North Dakota is the first US state to pass a bill making English its official language. This bill was passed in 1987.
3. The most fertile farmland in the US can be found in a small town that was once a dry lake bed. This is an ancient lakebed that was dried up thousands of years ago. The city of Hillsboro claims this honor.
4. The most drank beverage in the state of North Dakota is Milk. The legislator passed a bill including milk as its official drink.
5. The port of entry into the Canadian border is one of the busiest. Near West hope, North Dakota the point of entry helps more than 100,000 cars and trucks pass through to Canada and back each year.
6. The name of the state of North Dakota was in jeopardy of losing its status as “North” Dakota, but the bill was defeated in 1947 and the state left north in the name.
7. When the territory of the Dakotas was first named it was taken from the Indian tribe language meaning friend
8. In North Dakota, it has the only natural gas that is synthetic. This synthetic gas is used all over the world and can only be supplied from North Dakota.
9. One of the most mythological creatures to be seen in North Dakota is the giant thunderbird. This bird has historic origins going back, thousands of years. It has been carved into rocks that line the rocks at the rock state historical site.
10. North Dakota is one of the few states that have an international border. On its northern side, it borders two of the Canadian provinces.
11. One of the funny things in North Dakota is that people seem to have a lot of time on their hands. Some folks took some empty oil cans and made a huge pyramid out of them. It is still today the largest pyramid of oil cans in the world.
12. Devils Lake, has been known for hundreds of years to secretly kill explorers, Indians, and others who dare to transverse its shores. The Legends that surround this lake are numerous. Yet, it remains North Dakota’s largest body of fresh water.
13. North Dakota has a lot of unique history. It was the first state to organize a Calvary that Theodore Roosevelt led to fight in the Spanish American war. Thus, the state became known as the “rough rider state”
14. North Dakota is rich in historical fossils. It is one of the largest collections of complete skeleton fossils in the world. Along with numerous other follies that can be seen at the North Dakota natural history museum.
15. One of the largest and most architectural complete churches in the country is located in Richardson, North Dakota. This church holds lofty arches, 60 stained glass windows, pictures of saints and much more.
16. The largest collection of sheep herding and research is completed in North Dakota. It is conducted at the University of North Dakota.
17. The world’s largest adorned monument to the native buffalo in the US is located in Frontier Village in, Jamestown, North Dakota
18. Jamestown holds the record for the Oldest College established in the state. It was first established in a charter in 1884
19. Ellendale’s most famous landmark is the old English opera house that was completed in 1909. The capacity at the time helped more people than any other opera house. The capacity was 1000-1500 people
20. One of the oldest rodeos in the west is held every year at the PRCA rodeo in North Dakota
More by this Author
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
El Salvador is rich in Historical, Cultural, and traditions that have helped shape not only El Salvador but the World.
Belize is one of the greatest countries in the world offering wonderful traditionsl, Exotic history and unique culture. Here, are some of the fun and interesting facts about Belize