20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Paraguay
1. Río Paraguay splits the country in two separate regions the east and west most of the population lives in the east while the west holds approximately two percent
2. Paraguay started to realize that being under heavy Spanish rule that they were having a hard time truly becoming the nation they wanted to be. So, in the early 1800s Paraguay declared their independence from Spain. Paraguay’s first ruler Jose Gaspar Rodriguez de Francia established the world’s first utopian society do to the remote location of the country.
3. The official currency of Paraguay is Guarani it was adopted soon after the takeover of Paraguay’s first ruler.
4. Paraguay is home to some of the world most prevalent alternative energy sources. Including, the world’s largest hydroelectric dam called Itaipu Dam.
5. Paraguay’s main export to the world is Soy Beans. Due to its climate and centralized location in South America is is ideal for growing Soy beans.
6. Most countries in South America are hot for Soccer. It is the national sport for most countries in the world including Paraguay.
7. The First cross international railway line to connect the east side and west side of South America crossed through Paraguay in the 1850s this opened Paraguay’s borders with its neighbors and a huge boost in trade occurred.
8. Natural wetlands in Paraguay make it a premium destination for eco-tourism The Pantanal is the largest wetland in the world settling in most of Paraguay, Brazil, and Argentina
9. Capital of Paraguay is Asuncion, it was the first settled city that the Spanish explorer Juan de Salazar de Espinosa.
10. The population of Paraguay is mostly mestizo, which is a mix population of Spanish and Amerindian. Although there are still local Indian tribes who have established strict rules about marrying outside the tribe to continue to preserve their bloodline till today
11. Paraguay is the only country in South America that needs to use its river to access the Ocean. Sense the country is the only country land locked in the South America
12. Paraguay has had only two major wars in its lifetime the triple alliance wars and Chaco war with Bolivia.
13. The land area of Paraguay is a little smaller than the state of California
14. Paraguay is an elected democracy that has terms for both the president and vice president held for 5 years. These terms have done well for the Paraguayan government.
15. Paraguay was a dictatorship from 1955 to 1989 and was ruled by Alfredo Stroessner.
16. Paraguay’s official first constitution was not instigated until 1992. It was the last country in South America to institute a democratic Government.
17. Paraguay has a long tradition after Spanish colonization of their Roman Catholic base. During the earlier years many Jesuits went to convert the local population from their traditional religion.
18. Paraguay's official name is Republic of Paraguay or Republica Del Paraguay.
19. Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors
20. A cheap hotel in Asuncion typically serves as a brothel as well since prostitution is legal in Paraguay.
- Guarani: the Population, Language and Currency used in Paraguay
Its not that often that many people visit Paraguay. It is isolated and a remote country in the heart of South America. The Economics of this very sparsely populated country is mainly oriented from Paraguays neighbors, Argentina brazil and Bolivia. Th
- Fun & Interesting Facts about Paraguay Culture
There are many ways to enjoy this wonderfully country in South America. Paraguay is a small landlocked country in the centre of South America between Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil.
- 10 Things You Should Remember When You Visit Paraguay
In the lower portion of South America Lies a distinct and very unique country that is admired for its Ecological, Historical, and cultural heritage. One visit to this country will instantly make you fall in love with it and its people. Traveling to t
- Exploreing Untouched Nature in Paraguay
If youre a nature lover and a traveler to South America then there is a place located in Paraguay that is a must see. It is called the Panatanal, It is a huge swath of untouched wilderness that includes swamps and marshes. They are seasonally create
- Legends in Paraguay -- The legend of Pora-sy and Tarova
Legends in Paraguay -- The legend of Pora-sy and Tarova
- Fun & Interesting Facts on Paraguayan Culture
Fun & Interesting Facts on Paraguayan Culture
- Welcome | ExpatCrossing.com
Welcome to ExpatCrossing. com!This is newest website dedicated to the Expatriate Community. If you are moveing international, transitioning oversea...
- Paraguay -- City of Santa Marie De Fe
Santa Maria de Fe (Saint Mary of Faith) was founded in 1647 by French Jesuit Fr. Emmanuel Berthod. He had a special devotion to the French image of Our Lady under the title of Notre Dame de Foy, hence the phrase de Fe in the title
More by this Author
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
Uruguay is a unque and interesting country in south america. There is tons of history, culture, and traditions to be learned. So, come and see some of the fun and interesting facts on Uruguay
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala