20 Fun & Interesting Facts about South Carolina
1. South Carolina has one covered bridge that is still in use today left. It is the only remaining one to be found in the entire state.
2. The official state amphibian is the salamander after the legislator found they had made a home in the legislative assembly area.
3. One of the most ingenious forts to protect the city of Charleston was built with spongy logs. This helped deflect the English cannonballs being fired from ships because they would just bounce off and not cause any damage.
4. South Carolina was an original 13th colony and was the 8th state added to the union in May of 1788.
5. South Carolina is one of only a few states that have actually adopted an official dance. The official dance of the state of South Carolina is the “Shag”
6. The very first battle of the civil war erupted in South Carolina at the battle of fort Sumter. Although, no one is sure who fired the first shot from then until the end it was north against the south.
7. They call Georgia the Georgia Peach but it is not their main export. South Carolina actually produces more peaches on a yearly basis then Georgia
8. South Carolina is the largest producer of iodine in the country. For many years, it was emblazoned on their state license plates as the iodine state. It was not until recently that they changed the definition of their state to the Palmetto State.
9. South Carolina is one of the leading producers of thoroughbred races horses in the United States. It has some of the biggest names in horse racing forever etched into the race horse hall of fame in Aiken, South Carolina.
10. There is a unusual swap in the borers of South Carolina it is called the Black River Swamp. This swap is a very slow moving body of water that has tons of organic components in it. This causes an abundant amount of diverse wildlife to grow along its banks. It also gives the odd color of this river.
11. The smallest county to be incorporated in South Carolina is McCormick County which is only, 360 square miles. The largest county to be incorporated in the state is Horry which is 1222 square miles
12. Every year the annual poultry festival, is held in Leesville, South Carolina. They celebrate the birth death and deliciousness of out poultry friends.
13. The city of Sumter, South Carolina has an unusual collection of Gingko. It is the largest collection in one location, in the world
14. South Carolina is home to some of the most popular tourist destination in the world. The most popular being the Grand Strand. It runs for 60 miles along the little river from Georgetown.
15. Myrtle Beach is the largest spring Break Destination in the county. More college kids spend their time here than anywhere else in the country every year
16. South Carolina celebrates its peach heritage in a number of different ways. For example, the town of Gaffney and its water department built a water storage unit in the shape of a giant peach.
17. The first boll weevil ever found in South Carolina was captured and died in captivity. It can still be seen in the Pendleton District Museum.
18. The oldest minor league baseball stadium in the nation is located in Duncan Park South Carolina
19. The Sumter national forest has many trails for different kinds of enthusiast. Some are hiking trails, some are horse trails and others are Motorcycle trails. It all depends on what you are into
20. The original Long Island in South Carolina is thought to be roughly 25000 years old. It was first inhabited by the seewee Indians over 2000 years ago.
More by this Author
Traveling in Honduras you are probably going to want to experience some of the traditional, historic, and tasteful food that is available. Let's take a look at some of the most authentic Honduran foods that you should...
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala